Thread: Kayak question..Kardinal??

Default Kayak question..Kardinal??

I've been reading the kayak fishing reports for some time, and it's always sounded fun to me. I was checking out the Hobie Outback and Pro Angler, both of which seem well suited for the job. I'm really curious about how well the paddle system works to propel it, though. With the fins it just looks....flimsy....but it must get the job done. I saw Kardinal took his in the Kenai and it did very well. Does it have enough strength to propel you upstream against the current? Also curious how much water you need for those to work...draft would seem to be an issue if it's a shallow river/area.

I'm seriously considering purchasing one over the winter and getting it rigged up, so any thoughts, advice, things to avoid would be appreciated to make it a one-man fishing machine!

Hey Coho - I've been using a small Hobie Sport for the past few months.
    I'll probably have it in Valdez or Whittier as well so you can give it a try when I see you.

The paddle system is awesome for fishing, and they arent that flimsy. I do worry about them when I get close to shore, but as long as you're always aware that you need about 18 inches of water, they'll be fine. I dont expect them to break and if they do, I carry a fix-up kit for them.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Cool, thanks. Is there a quick way to retract the fins if you're heading for a shallow area? You can always paddle a bit if you need to.

Sent by my communicator

Yeah if you push the pedals all the way in, they land almost flush against your kayak. I still wouldnt beach the kayak with the pedals on though.
    If the water is calm enough, I normally remove the pedals and paddle my way to shore for the last 30 feet or so depending on depth.

So you just pull the pedals and fins right out? I was wondering how it all looked so flush in the ads.....lol

Yeah man. Its really simple. Maybe I'll see you in the next few weeks and you can try it out.

The fins/pedals come right out so the kayak is easier to carry around.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Yeah man. Its really simple. Maybe I'll see you in the next few weeks and you can try it out.

The fins/pedals come right out so the kayak is easier to carry around.
    That'd be cool, thanks. Maybe I'll catch you when we're in Valdez.

Where does one buy or order a Hobie from up here, anyway? Might be easier to buy in Washington at my dad's in Bellingham and have him ship it?

I'll send you an email

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    That'd be cool, thanks. Maybe I'll catch you when we're in Valdez.

Where does one buy or order a Hobie from up here, anyway? Might be easier to buy in Washington at my dad's in Bellingham and have him ship it?

Roger that.

I have two hobies. An outback and te adventure island.

The mirage drive is pretty bomber and if you happen to knock it hard the only thing I have had get tweaked was the aluminum bar that keeps the fins straight. To fix you just bend it back.

In shallow water you can shorten your foot strokes so the fins don't extend all the way down, or just push forward so they sit flush in the hull and then switch to paddle..

It literally takes seconds to install or uninstall the drive.

I bought both mine from the kayak shed in Oregon. They handled everything and were the best price. All hobies are sold for a set price. They only have accessories or shipping cost to bargain with.

The outback and pro angler are horrible to paddle. If you think shallow water is gonna be your thing get a revolution or adventure.

I love the adventure. It's fast, and efficient

Good info, thanks! Taking it all into consideration. I won't be fishing shallow, but there are always shallow areas to navigate. I won't worry about it much now. Just push the pedals down and coast or paddle over.

Sent by my communicator

You can hold in medium current. Hard to go upstream. Pedaling hard you might be able to sustain 4knts on my outback. I think you are better off with a shorter yak for the rivers though. And I highly recommend the turbo fins (though you lose a few inches of draft at full propulsion) and sailing rudder. The smaller fins won't be responsive enough in my opinion. The currents often delay the expected response.

But in my opinion, for solo drifting the Kenai, it's hard to beat. Have not taken my outback in low water conditions. I typically use my mini x in the upper but definitely rethinking that. Holding and or side drifting worked great.

I have some more info on my kayaks and the fishing at Alaskakayakfisher.com

Just personal insights. I'm not a guide or anything. It's a blast!!! Highly recommend!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk