Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Recommend scope for Ruger Target Gray

  1. #1

    Default Recommend scope for Ruger Target Gray

    I took my Zeiss off my Ruger Target Grey in 22-250 and put it on my New Custom 300WBY and that is where it will stay. So, any recommendations for scope to shoot targets and varments? If anyone has a used scope he thinks would work and would sell let me know. I am trying to stay under 400.00. Help would be appriceated. thank you



    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    132

    Default

    I had the same rifle a while back. Sold it due to the weight. But, I had a Leupold 4-12x tactical on it, and it was great. I sold the rifle, but I'm not willing to part with the scope. Sorry.

    But I would recommend the scope without hesitation. I got mine for $450 with a sunshade a few years ago. If you can find one, it's a good fit. I had targets and coyotes in mind when I got it. When I traded in the rifle, the gun shop owner really wanted that scope, too.

    It was a great combination, but I just couldn't deal with the weight and size of the package. If you like the rifle, it would be a great scope. 4x is low enough for closer stuff, but 12x really let me reach out, and the adjustabel objective was great, too. I'm going to mount it on my next small bore gun (204, 223, 22-250, or 243 - I can't decide which I want).

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    I had the same rifle a while back. Sold it due to the weight. But, I had a Leupold 4-12x tactical on it, and it was great. I sold the rifle, but I'm not willing to part with the scope. Sorry.

    But I would recommend the scope without hesitation. I got mine for $450 with a sunshade a few years ago. If you can find one, it's a good fit. I had targets and coyotes in mind when I got it. When I traded in the rifle, the gun shop owner really wanted that scope, too.

    It was a great combination, but I just couldn't deal with the weight and size of the package. If you like the rifle, it would be a great scope. 4x is low enough for closer stuff, but 12x really let me reach out, and the adjustabel objective was great, too. I'm going to mount it on my next small bore gun (204, 223, 22-250, or 243 - I can't decide which I want).
    Thanks I am going to get Leupold if I can find what I want. If if were you either 22-250 If you are not going to make 500 plus shots, if you are then get the 243 or 6mm Rem so you can wade the wind. thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    I had the same rifle a while back. Sold it due to the weight. But, I had a Leupold 4-12x tactical on it, and it was great. I sold the rifle, but I'm not willing to part with the scope. Sorry.

    But I would recommend the scope without hesitation. I got mine for $450 with a sunshade a few years ago. If you can find one, it's a good fit. I had targets and coyotes in mind when I got it. When I traded in the rifle, the gun shop owner really wanted that scope, too.

    It was a great combination, but I just couldn't deal with the weight and size of the package. If you like the rifle, it would be a great scope. 4x is low enough for closer stuff, but 12x really let me reach out, and the adjustabel objective was great, too. I'm going to mount it on my next small bore gun (204, 223, 22-250, or 243 - I can't decide which I want).
    Leupold VX-2 Target Scope 6-18x 40mm Adjustable Objective 1/8 MOA Target Dot Reticle Matte for 489.00 just going to cough up the money
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  5. #5

    Default

    Hey, just got a call from a friend and he offered me a 4200 Bushnell 4-16x40AO Multi x, he used last year for a little while during the season. He wants 300.00 for it, what do you think about this scope, I have never owned one of these??? Please any comments would be helpful before I drop 489.00 on a Leupold VX 2
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6

    Default

    Well I could not resist a sale at Midway and I sure hope I did not make a mistake, but if I did I will just learn from it and go on. I bought a -

    Nikon Buckmasters Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus BDC Reticle Matte - for 269.95. Like I said, sure hope I did not make a mistake. Thanks for the imput, I sure hope I don't have to by a Leupold after spending this money on the Nikon. Oh well, it would not be the first time I blew it, we will see. I will let you all know how it works whether it does or doesn't help me shoot good small groups. later
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    132

    Default

    No worries on that scope. It's a good one - I think. My former roommate had one in 3-9x40, and I thought it was pretty good for the money. If you ever want to upgrade, their Monarchs are really nice, too. My only real gripe with Nikon is they're not USA made. But I do have a set of their binos that I carried while I was deployed, and I've been very happy with them. You should be in good shape. Have fun.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    No worries on that scope. It's a good one - I think. My former roommate had one in 3-9x40, and I thought it was pretty good for the money. If you ever want to upgrade, their Monarchs are really nice, too. My only real gripe with Nikon is they're not USA made. But I do have a set of their binos that I carried while I was deployed, and I've been very happy with them. You should be in good shape. Have fun.
    The Nikon will be coming in this Friday and I will be shooting the rifle with new handloads trying to achieve good tight groups starting next week. I will certainly report the results of not only the groups but my expriences and impression as well as ease of operating function and accuracy of clicks using the four corners test of the new Nikon. Actually, I am excited not only to shoot and find good loads but to see how well I can accomplish this using the Nikon Buckmasters Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus BDC Reticle Matte. Until that time
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Well I could not resist a sale at Midway and I sure hope I did not make a mistake, but if I did I will just learn from it and go on. I bought a -

    Nikon Buckmasters Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus BDC Reticle Matte - for 269.95. Like I said, sure hope I did not make a mistake. Thanks for the imput, I sure hope I don't have to by a Leupold after spending this money on the Nikon. Oh well, it would not be the first time I blew it, we will see. I will let you all know how it works whether it does or doesn't help me shoot good small groups. later
    The only mistake I saw you about to make was spending close to $500 on a Leupold VX-II scope.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The only mistake I saw you about to make was spending close to $500 on a Leupold VX-II scope.
    Yes, I almost made that mistake but thankfully did not make it. At least the Nikon want be as expensive of a mistake if it ends up being one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  11. #11
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, I almost made that mistake but thankfully did not make it. At least the Nikon want be as expensive of a mistake if it ends up being one.
    If the scope is anything like the Nikon binoculars, you should be in good hands . . .

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    If the scope is anything like the Nikon binoculars, you should be in good hands . . .
    Now, the Buckmaster is not the Monarch, but it's not far behind it. I really appreciate you all for really putting me at ease about the kind of scope and also Nikon. I do not think without your help I would have even considered Nikon in a serious way. I don't even have the scope yet (will be here Friday) and I am looking at them in a much different light and I am beginning to really like what I see. What I have discovered with the help of some friends is that you cannot find a brighter, clearer scope than the Nikon 6.5-20X44 Monarch is because there isn't one. At sniper's hide, there was a review from a German magazine where the Nikon was tested along with 7 or 8 other high end (read high $) scopes like Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Swarovsky and others. They tested these scopes in in a factory using optical equipment. They found the Nikon had the highest light transmission of all the scopes, bar none. thanks just me
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  13. #13
    Member akula682's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Now, the Buckmaster is not the Monarch, but it's not far behind it. I really appreciate you all for really putting me at ease about the kind of scope and also Nikon. I do not think without your help I would have even considered Nikon in a serious way. I don't even have the scope yet (will be here Friday) and I am looking at them in a much different light and I am beginning to really like what I see. What I have discovered with the help of some friends is that you cannot find a brighter, clearer scope than the Nikon 6.5-20X44 Monarch is because there isn't one. At sniper's hide, there was a review from a German magazine where the Nikon was tested along with 7 or 8 other high end (read high $) scopes like Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Swarovsky and others. They tested these scopes in in a factory using optical equipment. They found the Nikon had the highest light transmission of all the scopes, bar none. thanks just me

    I know that Nikon has some Kick Azz camera optics; I love my Nikon Lenses... (even though I donít have too many due to the price). I will be getting a Nikon scope in the near future.
    (I wish I kept up with this thread I am selling my Weaver 6-24 40mm AO for $300.)
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    I know that Nikon has some Kick Azz camera optics; I love my Nikon Lenses... (even though I donít have too many due to the price). I will be getting a Nikon scope in the near future.
    (I wish I kept up with this thread I am selling my Weaver 6-24 40mm AO for $300.)
    Hey, akula, when those guys at Hide do a test it is for real and many times puts our notions and feelings about things in their place. I had know idea how good Nikon was because I have been brain washed by Leupold and German scope companies making me think I was buying the best because I was spending a lot of money. Sure makes me feel foolish to discover what I have just discovered about Nikon and good glass after 30yrs of hunting, reloading, and shooting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  15. #15
    Member akula682's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Hey, akula, when those guys at Hide do a test it is for real and many times puts our notions and feelings about things in their place. I had know idea how good Nikon was because I have been brain washed by Leupold and German scope companies making me think I was buying the best because I was spending a lot of money. Sure makes me feel foolish to discover what I have just discovered about Nikon and good glass after 30yrs of hunting, reloading, and shooting.
    Yeah I know what you mean... I was raised on "Leupold is the best if you canít use them go open sight, everything else is JUNK!"

    I agree that Leupold's are a really good scope they are just a bit pricy when youíre in HS and way out of your budget... I went for Simmons and was (and still am) very happy with them.
    I have since expanded to other scopes and I still think my Simmons are better than some of the "higher end" scopes that Iíve bought. I will get a more rugged scope as my environment changes just to be on the safe side but I will keep my Simmons on my smaller cal. rifles. I have a Leupold for my Ruger 454 but I donít use it. I had the Weaver on my Flattop .223 AR Upper, and Iím selling that too because I want the .50 Beowulf (and the 6.5 Grendel).
    I bought an 8x40 Set of Monarchís for my parentsÖ worst $400 I spent as they donít use them and have left them out of the case and the lenses are all scratched up and covered with 1/16thĒ of dust.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

  16. #16

    Default

    Beartooth,

    Did the scope arrive Friday? I'm curious about how it will work out. After seeing the high end glass on the 300 Wby, I figure anything you report will be from real life experience that's more than an afternoon's experience with each piece. It's just so hard to really tell much difference between scopes when you are in a store. I ended up replacing my shot-to-pieces old Weaver with a Full Field II 3x9. Now I need to get to the range and see if it has the clarity I was used to. I'm sure the coatings are much better than the old scope, and it should be better in low light. But, everything just lined up right internally to give outstanding focus and edge to edge clarity in the Weaver. I'm considering a Nikon Monarch for another rifle that needs a scope upgrade for my tired old eyes. Good luck with your new scope.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Beartooth,

    Did the scope arrive Friday? I'm curious about how it will work out. After seeing the high end glass on the 300 Wby, I figure anything you report will be from real life experience that's more than an afternoon's experience with each piece. It's just so hard to really tell much difference between scopes when you are in a store. I ended up replacing my shot-to-pieces old Weaver with a Full Field II 3x9. Now I need to get to the range and see if it has the clarity I was used to. I'm sure the coatings are much better than the old scope, and it should be better in low light. But, everything just lined up right internally to give outstanding focus and edge to edge clarity in the Weaver. I'm considering a Nikon Monarch for another rifle that needs a scope upgrade for my tired old eyes. Good luck with your new scope.
    The Nikon came in Wed. but I am still out of town and today is Sunday and I won't even see it til this coming Tuesday when I get home. I will mount it Tuesday and hopefully try some new loads one day this week. I will report the results of how the scope compares the the Zeiss I took off the the target Gray rifle and put on my 300WBY. later
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •