Thread: 30-338 Issues.

Default 30-338 Issues.

I recently purchased a 30-338 made on a Remington 700 action. I bought the dies and made some case out of 338 brass. I trimmed them down as prescribe and made a dummy round. They feed fine, but the bolt is very hard to close. I shorten the bullet depth and it did not seem to help. I have ordered some 30-338 brass that should arrive any day and will try again.

I was wondering if the 338 brass has to be fire formed to make it fit better? Or is something else going on. If the new 30-338 brass does not fit, then I know something is up.

Thanks,
    Mike

Very hard to tell from the info available but Iíd guess you just have the shoulder hitting casing a tight fit. Could be your chamber is cut just a tad short in relation to your dies. Could be your mixing brands of die and shell holder, the result being that the case isnít pushed all the way into the die so the shoulder doesnít get pushed all the way back. Or a combination of things like that.

There are also shoulder angle variations in 30-338, no real standard angle so if your die is one angle and chamber another you could get just what you have. If simple playing with the die and shell holder doesnít work Iíd fire form a case and send it off for a custom sizing die, probably from Lee if it was me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I wouldn't dispute AD. He's one smart cahboy.

BUT, I'm bettin that, if you can get the cases to chamber and shoot a FF load, say a light bullet starting load in your manual, you won't have a bit of tbl after that.

This has been the case for me when making 7mm Weatherby, outta 7mm Remington.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yup, more than likely once they are fire formed they will run just fine. But Iíd want to get where they will cycle through fine fresh off the die and I donít got to fight them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy and SOTN,

Thanks for your advice. I have been reloading for too many years to count. I set up the dies like always before (all components RCBS), but it did not work. I lowered the case a little more so it contacted the shell holder with a little more cam over, and wham, the cases fit like a glove.

Now I can start working on a load.

Thanks for your advice and good hunting.

Mike Wade
    Nome, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    Andy and SOTN,

Thanks for your advice. I have been reloading for too many years to count. I set up the dies like always before (all components RCBS), but it did not work. I lowered the case a little more so it contacted the shell holder with a little more cam over, and wham, the cases fit like a glove.

Thanks for your advice and good hunting.

Mike Wade
    Nome, Alaska
    I'm sizing a 6.5 WSM with a Redding 270 WSM Type S bushing die. The reamer was match spec meaning fairly tight. Had the same issue as you having to cam over to get the case bumped back enough to chamber easy. I'm getting the die griound down .010 so I don't have to cam it over.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    Andy and SOTN,

Thanks for your advice and good hunting.p

Mike Wade
    Nome, Alaska
    Yeah sometimes you gotta do that.

It may be because the press flexes.
    A beeg belted case like that, what I do, is get a Neck Only sizing die, and thereafter, just use that.
    It makes life easier.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.