Thread: problems with blue dot

Default problems with blue dot

so does anyone else have problems with burning on their blue dot handgun loads? have been getting lots of incomplete burn with several different loads. even tossed a half pound and bought a new one, with the same results. loads in question are heavier but not maxing out, 12.0gr with 250gr LRFP .45 in Colt and 7.0gr with 230gr LRN .45 in 1911. both loads giving gobs of unburned powder on the table and sometimes burning in the air as it blows back in my face. are the loads too heavy or do i have bad powder again?

I loaded some 10mm rounds with Blue Dot over max and didn't have any issues with unburnt powder.

Blue Dot wants a real tight crimp and/or grip of the bullet in the case. I ran into that way back when it first appeared, loading lighter bullets for the 44 Mag. Even at upper levels of pressure, it wasn't burning well enough to suit me. I tried heavy crimps first, and that solved it, but cut case life too much for my tastes. I chucked the expander button from my dies into a drill and used really fine emery to reduce its diameter, and I was able to cut back on the crimp for case life while still getting good burn. This was in the days before taper crimp dies or factory crimp dies, so you might well solve the problem with one of those while avoiding the fiddle with the expander.

ok, i use a lee factory roll crimp die and crimp what i thought was pretty tight into the groove on the bullet. will try to crimp a bit tighter on the loads i have left, and i f that doesn't work then i have some blue dot for sale, only a bit missing from a full bottle

The expander balls for RCBS dies are cheap and readily available. You might try chucking yours in a drill and spinning a little off with emery cloth. That really sealed the deal for me.

One other thought- Without checking your loads against the reloading manual, Blue Dot is at it's best near max. If yours isn't up there somewhere, you might also run your loads up a bit.

yeah the 45 colt load at 12.0gr is less than a grain from alliant's published data, but then i assume that is a pretty mild load so they won't get in trouble. i don't have any issues cranking it up because i use those for practice in my super redhawk 454, no colt load should be able to hurt me there. i'll try a little tinkering btu if the next batch still won't burn then it's over, get lots more reliable results from bullseye with a lower charge=more rounds per lb, and in today's limited supply that seems like the best way to load

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    ...get lots more reliable results from bullseye with a lower charge=more rounds per lb, and in today's limited supply that seems like the best way to load
    I was kinda wondering why you were using BD in the first place. In my experience it's more of a warm-to-hot powder. I could count on one hand the times I've used anything but Bullseye or Unique in the 45 Colt. But I'm never pushing it much past 700fps, even in my hunting loads.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've used Unique, and Universal in lighter 44 mag loads. Those pwdrs are economical, but BE is probably more so.

I've always been afeared to use BE for fear of a double/tripple charge.

Good info, BB.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

While there is loading data available for Blue Dot in the 45 Colt and 45 ACP, Blue Dot isn't the first choice for loading these calibers. As you've pointed out it's quite dirty burning. It works better in magnum style loads. However with reloading components at a premium currently I'ld use what I have on the shelf. Unique or AA-5 would be my first choices, HP-38 + Bullseye would be the most economical for target loads, if you have them.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Blue Dot is a great 10mm hot load powder but Iíd not think it so great for the larger case volume of 45 Colt. In 45 Colt there is just a lot of air in there to keep the pressure from getting as high then as the bullet passes the cylinder gap pressure drops off too boot so you donít get the fire going good. Bullseye, Unique, or Universal donít care about case volume, pressure, bullet pull tension, or barrel length like BD so much better picks for plinking loads. Also Trialboss is a great plinking powder, it was made for plinking the 45 Colt.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've used quite a bit of BD in my 41mag with 225gr cast. I'm not going to list the load but it's pretty stiff and burns well. My Blackhawk with 6 1/2" barrel gets 1480fps. BD doesn't seem to burn consistant until pressure is up. I like Universal clays or W231 for the mid range loads.

thanks for the replies, I initially started loading it for stiff "bear" loads in my 1911, and at that time I was getting great results with 8gr BD and 185gr copper SWC. those loads were accurate and hummed right along, never had these issues. but now with the lead bullets i'm getting constant half burns and I just hate seeing all that money blow away on the table in front of me. at this point does anyone live in anchorage and want to deal on 3/4lb of blue dot, bought about 4-5 months ago. let it go for $15 or trade for another powder

BD just isn't the right powder for certain cartridges. You will get much better results with less powder using a somewhat faster powder. You will probably be much happier with something like W231, Unique, Herco, Universal clays, Hs6, AA5 or maybe 7. There are quite a few others in this range that should work better than BD. I would be glad to buy your remaining BD. I does work very well in the 357mag and 44mag. It also works very well in the 41mag but there was a warning a while back not to use it in the 41.

rbuck351, your pm's are full, shoot me a message on that bd for sale