Thread: Camp pattern Duck Boat Project Grumman Sport Boat

Default Camp pattern Duck Boat Project Grumman Sport Boat

Sorry to start two threads here in a matter of minutes.

I've got a 1969/70-ish Grumman Sport Boat that I plan to convert from Florida fishing boat to Alaska do it all boat. My first priority is camouflage. Currently, the boat is krylon blue, which I plan to remove this week or next, by chemical stripping back to bare metal. I plan to paint the whole boat is self etching primer. I've decided to go with a 3M marine version of their vehicle wrap in an as yet determined camo pattern. I think this will be quicker, easier, possibly cheaper, and more effective than painting.

What's a good pattern for Alaska waterfowl hunting that I could also use all hunting season for say, big game float hunt, lake fishing, etc. I'm partial to the Advantage Max 4, but I base that primarily on aesthetics to the human (my) eye.

Also, once applied tp the outside from the gunwales to just below waterline, how important is the interior of the boat? Should I order enough to do the inner sides from the gunwales down to the seats? Should I buy enough to do the bench seats as well? I don't htink that the wrap will durable enough for the floor; can I ust go with a solid tan (or other color of someones suggestion) on the floors and seats? (I'm actually considering making a no-slip floor covering by mixing sand with the paint and painting the floor a solid color.)

painterchicvinyl@gmail.com

Send off a email to painterchick shown above. Tonia is her name. She specalizes in vinyl covering for airboats as well as paints. You can see on my avitar, i have some vinyl around the cab of my airboat, for decoration, I don't duck hunt from that boat, but do use it to get to where i am hunting and then park it nearby. The tough vinyl she uses holds up well to abuse given by airboats. Call or send pm if you want to see it close up. Tonia will email you catalogues and prices, and you can have the product in 3 days, faster if you overnight it.

My airboat is green, which I don't suggest for a duck boat up here. Everything quickly turns a dull brown on marsh, and a dull brown is best. I get my paint at Sherman & Williams, its a industrial equipment finish, flat solid color. They also have a very good aluminum primer (very expensive). Use their stuff to prime and paint, you can get it locally without paying hazmat shipping, and it holds up fine. You can put vinyl on the outside, but if painting the inside, paint it first, save vinyl for last. For my small duck boat I am using a color at S&W called dead grass, have been very happy. I've used green in the past, but after everything turns brown, it stands out in the marsh. but yes, if you only hunt jim lake area where there is lots of green, go for green, but i have been really happy past 2 seasons with my dead grass, mixed with duck blood. I think the blind that I have around and over my duck boat brakes up the solid color just find, but camo the interior if you want instad of solid. Bud
    Wasilla

Duck blood? Is that some paint color or are you actually smearing duck blood in random patterns on your boat every season?

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    painterchicvinyl@gmail.com

Send off a email to painterchick shown above. Tonia is her name. She specalizes in vinyl covering for airboats as well as paints. You can see on my avitar, i have some vinyl around the cab of my airboat, for decoration, I don't duck hunt from that boat, but do use it to get to where i am hunting and then park it nearby. The tough vinyl she uses holds up well to abuse given by airboats. Call or send pm if you want to see it close up. Tonia will email you catalogues and prices, and you can have the product in 3 days, faster if you overnight it.

My airboat is green, which I don't suggest for a duck boat up here. Everything quickly turns a dull brown on marsh, and a dull brown is best. I get my paint at Sherman & Williams, its a industrial equipment finish, flat solid color. They also have a very good aluminum primer (very expensive). Use their stuff to prime and paint, you can get it locally without paying hazmat shipping, and it holds up fine. You can put vinyl on the outside, but if painting the inside, paint it first, save vinyl for last. For my small duck boat I am using a color at S&W called dead grass, have been very happy. I've used green in the past, but after everything turns brown, it stands out in the marsh. but yes, if you only hunt jim lake area where there is lots of green, go for green, but i have been really happy past 2 seasons with my dead grass, mixed with duck blood. I think the blind that I have around and over my duck boat brakes up the solid color just find, but camo the interior if you want instad of solid. Bud

Sorry for the confusion. Just refering to the blood that gets spilled in my boat thoughout the season. Still have some in it now from last year. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Duck blood? Is that some paint color or are you actually smearing duck blood in random patterns on your boat every season?
    Wasilla