Thread: House Drain

Default House Drain

I have some kind of a drain on my house battery. Even with the house switched off to my electrical panels it drains itself over about three weeks with no charge. The only things connected directly to the house, bypassing the switch, are my Electro-dyne (which I have already detached w/ the same result) and my Sine Wave Inverter. The sine wave inverter LCD screen is always left OFF when I leave/store the boat between uses... does it make sense or is it expected that merely leaving the inverter connected directly to the house would drain it? Its a new battery... replaced because I assumed it was bad when I first noticed this happened. I guess next I will try disconnecting the sine wave inverter positive cable from the house when I dry store it and see if that makes a difference. Anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance.

Did you check the bilge pump? Some are wired direct to battery.

The only way to know for sure is get an amp meter and start checking.
    All the Inverters I know will have some current draw even when they are not powering anything.
    My boat has a main breaker between the battery and everything else. I just operate it when I store the boat.

How's about something simple? A bad battery? A bad switch? A bad cable?

It'd be easy to take off the cables and haul it down to get load-tested at an auto/battery shop.

A dirty battery will also self drain.
    Use some warm water and baking soda to clean the battery off.
    After that is done clean the posts and connectors.
    Next, put the battery on a charger and fully charge it.
    Then finally after letting it sit a couple of hours test the electrolyte in each cell with a hydrometer.
    This will let you know that all is well with your battery and the problem lies elsewhere.

Inverters do draw power when not being used so you may want to have a shut off for it.

Remove the inverter from the positive side of the battery and put it on the selector switch terminal going to the panel. In fact you should not have anything going to the battery but the auto- bulge switch.

Thanks for all the replies.... it is a new battery, tested and operating normally, not dirty. I replaced what was probably a perfectly good older battery assuming that was the "quickest" fix.

With a couple of you acknowledging that the inverter draws power even when off.. I think that is probably it. I have ordered a switchable flush mount breaker to put between it and the battery... to prevent the draw. In the meanwhile I hooked a solar panel today when I left the boat, we'll see if that's enough to trickle charge it while I am away.

Having some other crazy electrical problems on this newish boat I can't wrap my head around. The inverter seems to be working perfectly, I have gone through all the functions on the remote and they are all set correctly, it properly indicated the battery state and searches for a load. Problem is it never finds a load and even when I set it to invert regardless of the load I get no power at my AC outlets. Gotta get to the bottom of that next.

Last thing is my Lewmar 1000. Seems to just decide when not to run. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Today it didn't work on my run out, but it ran fine every time I tested it on my way back in. When it doesn't run it doesn't even click. The buttons just do nothing. By the time I got parked back on shore, it still was working fine. But before I left it wouldn't work in the parking lot. PITA.

Everything on the boat is a blast.... but these little electrical things get under my skin.... maybe partly because I am the least comfortable with figuring them out.... but I am getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Remove the inverter from the positive side of the battery and put it on the selector switch terminal going to the panel. In fact you should not have anything going to the battery but the auto- bulge switch.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I have ordered a switchable flush mount breaker to put between it and the battery... to prevent the draw. In the meanwhile I hooked a solar panel today when I left the boat, we'll see if that's enough to trickle charge it while I am away.
    I did not mean you should add another switch. I was talking about using the battery selector switch you already have. Wire the inverter so that when the battery switch is off the inverter is also off.

Sorry for the confusion.

I hope you have a charge controller between that solar panel and the battery.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    This was very helpful for me. I had my puller going directly off the battery terminal to a weather protected anderson connector and then on to the on/off switch/puller. A marine electrician told me there would be no drain on the battery and there seemed not to be. I just didn't like that there was always power to the puller even when the battery was switched off. It was easy to change and I think a big step up...I'll try to track down the auto hot leg to my bilge pump switch tomorrow. Thanks!

Agreed. I am gong to do the same. Thanks to all who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    This was very helpful for me. I had my puller going directly off the battery terminal to a weather protected anderson connector and then on to the on/off switch/puller. A marine electrician told me there would be no drain on the battery and there seemed not to be. I just didn't like that there was always power to the puller even when the battery was switched off. It was easy to change and I think a big step up...I'll try to track down the auto hot leg to my bilge pump switch tomorrow. Thanks!