Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coho Runs in the Matsu

Default Coho Runs in the Matsu

For all those concerned about Coho runs in the Matsu valley, start hammering your representatives, our biologists, and anyone who can do anything to stop the commercial fishers from scooping all our fish up. If we all remain silent, nothing will happen, which include silver runs.

We have not had adequate Coho runs for 5-6 years now, and the commercial fishing management cannot get it through their thick skulls that we need to start out restrictive instead of liberal.

If you are concerned about our runs, they are not going to fix themselves. They are only going to continue to decline, so do something before it is too late!

I really hope you're not serious...
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

this is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friend. People started singing it not knowing what it was, but they'll keep on singing it just because…………its the song that never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ210 View Post
    For all those concerned about Coho runs in the Matsu valley, start hammering your representatives, our biologists, and anyone who can do anything to stop the commercial fishers from scooping all our fish up. If we all remain silent, nothing will happen, which include silver runs.

We have not had adequate Coho runs for 5-6 years now, and the commercial fishing management cannot get it through their thick skulls that we need to start out restrictive instead of liberal.

If you are concerned about our runs, they are not going to fix themselves. They are only going to continue to decline, so do something before it is too late!
    FYI - The Cook Inlet salmon runs are MANAGED to maximize Kenai reds (and kings). That is the management plan and it is sucessful and not a **** other thing matters. That was the gist of a meeting held at the Willow Resort last year, hosted by ADF&G big wigs.

Shows you were their hearts really lay........$$$

Even if it is managed for Kings and Reds, why don't they change where they net to only get those fish? For example, why not change the commercial fishing gear to make it so they can fish in the Kenai River mouth, only catching Kenai reds, instead of scooping up matsu silvers?

If you think about it, a tourist would pay between $100-$200 to go catch 3 silvers, plus they would buy a fishing licences (quite expensive for tourists) or the commercial fishermen could sell the fish for a couple dollars.

Even if it is managed for Kings and Reds, why don't they change where they net to only get those fish? For example, why not change the commercial fishing gear to make it so they can fish in the Kenai River mouth, only catching Kenai reds, instead of scooping up matsu silvers?

If you think about it, a tourist would pay between $100-$200 to go catch 3 silvers, plus they would buy a fishing licences (quite expensive for tourists) or the commercial fishermen could sell the fish for a couple dollars.
    The nets, are in fact, restricted in size to target reds. Silvers being roughly the same size get caught too. It would be completely impossible to design a net to get one or the other species since they share roughly the same physique. Restricting comm fleets to fish only the mouth of the Kenai is also, well, pretty ridiculous. Do you know how many boats are in the comm fleet? All of them in one little area? Seriously? Not to mention it's a mixed stock. Those matsu silvers are mixed in. What you're suggesting is impossible not only practically, but economically as well. Coho runs are not proven to be in any danger in matsu either. Last year was a bum year. This year is shaping up pretty nice for silvers. I limited in 30 min in the matsu yesterday. Saw plenty of other people catching silvers and word is the little su is doing quite well, one of the rivers that did poorly last year. Salmon runs ebb and flow every year. That's the way of it. The only species showing any kind of serious trouble so far, are kings. I think your claims are extremely unfounded and show only a disdain for the comm fisheries. The fleet is essential to Alaskas economic viability. As is tourism. But your claims and call to bash the comm fleet is not factually supported. Comm fisherman are not going to sell fish to tourist for a couple dollars when they make a whooole lot more money selling them elsewhere. I know I wouldn't. It's not good business.

I am not saying they sell them to tourists for a couple dollars, they just sell them in general for a couple dollars. If a silver has 5 pounds of meat the most they are going to sell it for is $20 and a tourist would pay way more to go catch one.

About dud years for silvers, we have had 6 years of not meeting escapement goals in a row, not just one dud year.

I am not saying they sell them to tourists for a couple dollars, they just sell them in general for a couple dollars. If a silver has 5 pounds of meat the most they are going to sell it for is $20 and a tourist would pay way more to go catch one.

About dud years for silvers, we have had 6 years of not meeting escapement goals in a row, not just one dud year.
    I'm not exactly sure how and where you get your info that the last 6 years have been bum. Here's the facts, weir counts directly off of the ADF&G website for the rivers where coho counts are maintained in the valley....

Little Su- BEG 10,100 - 17, 700

2012- 6770 coho
    2011- 4826 coho
    2010- 9182 coho
    2009- 9,523 coho
    2008- 18, 485 coho
    2007- 17, 573 coho

Two bad years, over escaping in 2008 and nearly over escaping in 2007. 2009, 2010 underescaped but not by much and not enough to fret over.

Deshka River- BEG 13,000 - 28,000

2012- 6825 coho
    2011- 7508 coho
    2010- 10390 coho
    2009- 27348 coho
    2008- 12724 coho
    2007- 10575 coho

Again two bad years way under escapement but the rest not in as bad of a shape as you portray. Certainly not doom and gloom like the king runs.

Fish Creek- BEG 1,200 - 4,400

2012- 1237 coho
    2011- 1428 coho
    2010- 6977 coho
    2009- 8214 coho
    (records not kept for coho 2004-2008)

Definitely no signs at all there that coho are in any danger. Meeting escapement last two years and WAY over escaping two years before that.

I see no indication AT ALL from the facts pulled off of ADF&G's website that coho are in any danger what-so-ever. My own observations on the river, other forums members posting reports, and actual fish counts point to this year being a good coho year. Every river is dif and every year is dif. Some rivers met or exceeded escapement in the SAME year that others were not looking so well. No indications at all that coho in the matsu are in trouble and that's based on FACTS. A little research might do you a little good. As far as selling the fish for a couple dollars...do you honestly think that a commercial fisherman is going to do that? They can sell and off load their catch far more quickly at the fish processors and be back out on the water catching more fish to sell in less time. Less time at the dock means more time on the water MAKING MONEY. Not to mention the extra time and infrastructure it would require to set up some kind of "stand" to sell fish to tourists, cuts into the captain's bottom line. It's basic business and economics. They are only interested in maximizing profits. Selling commercially caught fish to tourists is not profitable at all. Tourists don't come here to buy fish from a fisherman. They come here to see Alaska and to maybe catch a few fish. If it's silvers they want, there's plenty to go around right now and no indication that they are going the way of the kings.

As someone who grew up commercial fishing down on peninsula, an have now been living in the matsu...I can honestly say that you are an ignorant human being. Until you go out there and actually pick the fish outta the net and see for yourself..you should not be blaming the commercial boys. The commercial fleet is just used to escapement control, and this year they did/have not been able to fish hardly at all. They did get quite a few expanded corridors, but I'm assuming you have no idea what that is...FYI, it is a boundary they make them fish within, making them miss your precious coho's that are running out in the middle of the inlet. If you haven't noticed you have hit a nerve..all this talk about building the susitna runs is bogus..there's a reason the escapement numbers are the way they are..susitna is not designed to handle much more fish, it just does not have the spawning grounds like the peninsula...I am done venting, continue to lick the window

How's that window taste?

Your that guy 30 miles up the kenai that when every other swinging dic* is catching fish, and your not, you pull your cigar out your mouth, and say...'they must have their nets out ' huh?

Already over 100,000 Coho's have been caught in the Cook Inlet this year. Don't tell me that doesn't effect anything.

I know our rivers aren't meant to hold much, but I would at least want as much as the escapement goals say we need.

Every year is not gonna be the same, it all depends on how many fish actually return to spawn. Don't be that guy that blames comm boys, just cause your reel isn't singing. Good day

Already over 100,000 Coho's have been caught in the Cook Inlet this year. Don't tell me that doesn't effect anything.
    What's your point? That number means very little. Here's the facts AGAIN....

2012 Comm harvest of cohos - 103,452

Fish creek met escapement. Deshka came in under as well as the Little Su.

2011 Comm harvest of cohos - 95, 276

Fish creek again met escapement with Deshka and Little Su under.

2010 Comm harvest of cohos - 207, 256

Fish Creek WAY over escapes with Deshka slightly under and Little Su BARELY under.

2009 Comm harvest of cohos - 153, 210

Fish Creek again WAY over escapes with Deshka NEARLY over escaping and Little Su coming close again.

2008 Comm harvest of cohos - 171, 869

Fish Creek #'s not available with Deshka coming extremely close and Little Su over escaping

2007 Comm harvest of cohos - 177, 339

Fish Creek #'s not available with Deshka under by a little and Little Su nearly over escaping.

Again a little research would do you a lot of good to speaking intelligently because the FACTS do not support what you are claiming.

umm bud. Silvers go about 20-26 cents per pound at the market. That was 10 years ago when I used to play that game. Reds were 89 cents a pound and we got 1.10 for kings. Pinks were 2-4 cents a pound with chums running around 14-17 cents per pound. Lmao!!!!

Release Lake Trout

"Your that guy 30 miles up the kenai that when every other swinging dic* is catching fish, and your not, you pull your cigar out your mouth, and say...'they must have their nets out ' huh?"

And you're the guy out there fighting to kill the last fish.

FYI
    I commercial set net fished silvers a few years back on the west side.
    $.35 a pound for silvers is what the fishermen got. ($2 to $3 per fish)
    Cook Inlet Red bring more per pound, not sure how much more.
    Fishery was open 2 days a week.
    We caught a few thousand lbs. My cut was a few % after expenses.
    9 Days remote, 3 days fishing, I made about $145.00
    Caught around 4,000 lbs.
    Good experience but not a money maker.

Learned that it's hard work to fish commercially.
    Some years you do good, others you may not.
    Money makers are the processors more than the commercial fishermen.

Hard for me to bad mouth the commercial guys since then. Regulated pretty strong now a days.
    If they make $60,000; figure boat, nets, crew, fuel, transportation to & from the site.... etc.

They earn it

Most have other jobs & take vacation for fishing season. Like dip netting, I can see how it can get in your blood.
    But few are going to get wealthy form it. But they love it.

In Alaska, sports & commercial fishermen are in this together.
    Both care tremendously about the renewable resource.
    Many variables determine how many fish return.
    Both sides want lots of fish to return every year, forever

IMO

Some of the response to your post are a little over the top.

Don't know why some think insulting folks makes a good point, for me it's just the opposite.
    Reflects back on them.

Good forum to learn from but we all could be a bit more pleasant to each other.
    We are not Washington DC Politicians, we're Alaskans.

Respect for each other can go a long way.

Here's another little tid bit for ya.....

Annual sport fish harvest for Susitna Drainage

2011 - 21,806 coho harvested by SPORT fishers
    2010 - 30,327 coho harvested by SPORT fishers
    2009 - 31,193 coho harvested by SPORT fishers
    2008 - 41,708 coho harvested by SPORT fishers
    2007 - 30,261 coho harvested by SPORT fishers

Seems the sporties are putting a pretty good hurtin' on the coho as well now doesn't it? If you're that concerned about the state of the coho runs, maybe you should restrict yourself as you claim should be done with the comm fleets?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast