Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Boy Scores Big Time!!!!! Big Black Bear

Default The Boy Scores Big Time!!!!! Big Black Bear

Been trying to get my 9 year old boy a bear for 2 seasons now and it just wasn't working where I was baiting so this year I baited in a different place and I have had my son practising with his .270 non-stop so that he would be ready when the time came. I had my concerns for the boy getting nervous when a bear shows and it was about what I thought it would be like just a little worse. Last night we sat the bait for the first time and its been getting pounded. When this guy showed up my son was shaking the entire stand, and I am pretty sure the bear could hear my sons breathing as he could not control it. I let the bear feed for a while and tried to calm my boy down and when he finally was ready and shot I am pretty sure it was a bit far back(it was), I was prepared for it, as it was my biggest worry and dad had to help him out, and it almost got ugly. I hit the bear twice as he hauled azz dowhill into the jungle, neither shot of mine were great but they worked. The bear died about 100 yards into the thick in a gully. It was almost my worst nightmare , tracking a wounded bear with my son and a **** big one at that.So it didn't go as smooth as it coulda (the boys first big game animal) but he did **** good. I have seen grown men get as scared as he did and he was still persistent that he could make the shot and did. The bear is huge, and it killed me to see that bear come in and me not have my bow, cuz he's well over 18". This is the biggest black bear I have ever seen on a bait in interior Alaska and to make matters better he's a cinnamon. Just got back from the Taxi and the bear will go 6'5 - 6'75 and his head calipered over hair was over 20". Was an amazing night for a father and a son and an experience that will never be forgotten.Lots of hugs, lots of high fiving and a few tears. Didn't get to bed till 8 am this morning with no sleep last night. Sorry the pics arent great but it was tough times last night. Boy crashed in the truck at 12 and I didn't get the bear out of the woods till 2:30 am.

And the tired little hunter that I had to wake up at 2:30 am so he could somewhat pose with the bear.

Well done to Alaskacub Jr. Great bear and a real proud Dad by the sounds of it.

Good job

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

GREAT JOB!!!!!!! Congratulations to both of you. J.

Default awesome

That is great congrats to the boy, cant wait till my boy gets old enough hes 4 now and begs me to let him go when I leave. Every time I open the gun case he comes running. that is definitely something to be proud of.

Default Wow!!!!!!!!

AC:

That thing is a beast! What an experience to have with your son!

Nice Job!

Thumbs up Ya!

Alright! Awesome!!

Default sweet

That is awesome. I cant wait until my boy is old enough to shoot. He is 4 now and has ben going with all his life.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

That is down right awesome...Im over here smiling for the both of you.Tell your boy nice job and what a beautiful bear that is.And congrats on you also dad.Daniel

Default Nice!

There are men that wait all their lives to get a trophy cinnamon... your son is now the envy of those twice, three and four times his age. Great job, dad. You have done your son and the sport of hunting proud. My hat is off to you sir.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Nice going cub's cub and poppa cub!

Thumbs up Great job!

Way to go, Roland! Glad for your boy, too.
    You were due for a nice critter, and you guys worked hard for this too.

Great Bruin!!

Frank

Default Big Bear!

Yeeehaw!!! What a bear and what a thrill for a father and son. I will never forget being with my daughters when they shot their bears. I am very happy for you both. Well done.

You know bear hunting with pards is a blast, but being with your kid hunting bears is kind of a 2 way rollercoaster, theres the idea of him enjoying it and even maybe being successful and then theres the idea of protecting him and making sure he is safe. He has seen lots of dead bears over the years but hasn't seen live ones ever. To watch his expression and seeing how a little guy tries to combat fear with the excitement and joy is cool. I asked him right before he shot, are you shaking cuz your scared?, and he replied , No, I am shaking cuz this is cool! That was cool.

As for Back Country Bob's comments , his bear is bigger than any bear I have ever shot too, so I understand , but the deal was made and the cards were dealt, the bear was his to claim. I dont really see it as his bear, but our bear and that rug when it comes back from the taxi will be special to both of us for a lifetime, his and mine.

It is ironic though that as rare as color phase blacks are up here my first bear was a cinnamon and so was his (though his is bigger than mine), kinda weird.

Way cool!!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Congrats!!

Great job can't wait till I can share the same experience with my boys. You must be the proudest dad around and you should be!

Default Congrats!

Cub,

Thanks for posting this story. It sounds pretty exciting, and I cannot imagine how it must feel to have your son shoot his first bear with you! Great memories, and thanks for letting us in on a part of it.

Great way to start the summer!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Way cool--

What an awesome bear and a story/memory that will last him a lifetime. It never fails when getting ready to go on a hunt--I always look back to my first hunting experiences with my father and smile. You have given him a wonderful gift.

Will

Default Wtg!!!!

My wife does not understand the feelings you just shared when I say to her, " You or the kids shoot, it is more enjoyable for me that way." The raw emotion/proudness makes that bear the #1 bear in your trophy room. I guarantee when folks stop by the house, the animals your family members shot are the first ones mentioned. BTW, that is a hell of an interior bear. Tell your son good job for me and keep the youngsters going. Rod

Great job! I love hearing stories like yours. I like the father and son hunting combo. Plus, it's a pig of a bear. Thanks for sharing.

Wink A Moment In Time That Can"t Be Replaced!

Congrads, Glad to hear of your family hunt, lots of memories to share as time marches on! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast