Thread: Upland Birds

Default Upland Birds

I'm planning on heading up north for about a week with my GWP in a truck camper toward the end of August. Is there anyone else planning similar who'd be willing to share some quality time working their dog over some birds?

Sent ya an e-mail. Definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I'm planning on heading up north for about a week with my GWP in a truck camper toward the end of August. Is there anyone else planning similar who'd be willing to share some quality time working their dog over some birds?
    PM sent. Ill be available from the 24th of August through labor day weekend. Just not before the 24th.

Spent 3 hours today walking with our GWP on the back side of Ft Rich [areas 409-410] and did not locate one bird. We visited areas we've previously found birds. This is only my first time this season prospecting the area so hopefully we'll do better next time. I cannot fathom the number of birds getting much lower here on Ft Rich. I'll be hard pressed to pull the trigger on anything we do find... Bird Practice.jpg

Tough time of year to find grouse anyhow. Hens are secretive with their broods and typically use different habitat during brood rearing than during fall. And adult grouse go through various stages of molting and will move about less during this time. Hunters see more grouse during mid-September on into October because the broods disperse and strike out on their own.

HB it was real good talking with you. Have you noticed many aspens blown down in your area? First it was the Black Spruce from the beetle kill and now there's something going on with the Aspen around here. Looking forward to tromping though the Interior soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
    PM sent. Ill be available from the 24th of August through labor day weekend. Just not before the 24th.

Sam we need to reengage as soon as you are available.
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyiamtoday View Post
    Sent ya an e-mail. Definitely interested.

Here's a link to a short clip of the trees I found blown down on Ft Rich this weekend. I'm not really schooled up on tree ID ~ these may actually be poplar.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I'm not really schooled up on tree ID ~ these may actually be poplar.
    You got it right, they are quaking aspen. The balsam poplar (which many call cottonwood) has longer, pointy leaves.

My guess is that the leaf mining is only indirectly related to the trees you see blown over. The leaf miners don't kill them, but do make for a weaker tree over the years. Those looked like pretty old aspen, may have just been their time anyway.

Walked the back of Ft Rich for a handful of hours in the rain this morning. Saw two grouse and heard one other fly off ~ no shots. Was great to meet AOD member sammyiamtoday and his gorgeous young GWP. Our dogs melded together well in the field and I look forward to drier times and many solid points afield. Ellie.jpgEllie n Sam.jpg

Good there was no shots. Sep 3d is a few days away. 14c=9/3

Mark, Good point ~ thought they opened the 10th for some reason. Sam, looks like I blew it ~ my apologies. Last thing I'd want to do is set up a newbie for failure. Good thing the focus is primarily working our dogs... I'll be heading to the interior this upcoming week with the wife for a hand full of days. Hoping to get into some good numbers of birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Good there was no shots. Sep 3d is a few days away. 14c=9/3

Great [wet] trip to the "valley" with sammyiamtoday. We finally got some birds and we enjoyed good company, textbook point and great exercise.

With things being so miserably wet I didn't have any respectable "field" photos. Here's a sample of cleaned breasts ready for an awesome dinner Thursday. Here's one of our favorite sweet and sour recipes which uses sweet red chili sauce for a base. It's quick and easy for all types of birds from duck to upland. I can send the actual recipe to anyone interested but basically its dip the chunks in egg, flour and egg again and fry lightly. Remove meat and sauté bell peppers and onion and carrots until al dente crisp. Add pineapple chunks and the red chili sauce return meat and heat through. Delicious! Grouse Breasts.jpgSweet and Sour.jpg