Thread: Best hunting Tipi

Default Best hunting Tipi

This ones probably been beat to death but after all the blogs and 4 or 5 hrs of reading I still dont have it nailed down. Bst all round tipi for hunting looks to be the Kifaru or Mt Goat. I want to use it for hunting/ATV tracking in the backwoods with my wife for hunting maybe panning/ i want to be able to add 2 friends or family in a pinch but not very often for a total of 4. As far as I can tell the 6-man is what i need. I like the 8 but am worried that it will even be more difficult to find a decent spot. or does in not really matter for those who have these. i will also be adding a stove to the package. if anyone has a used one that is thinking of upgrading I am interested. Wont have no problem buying one new. Looks like a one time purchase either brand. Never been in one of these before.

I have a Kifaru 8 man. I've used it on Kodiak and for moose hunting and float fishing trips. Gravel bars are usually no problem finding a spot to set it up. Dense forest is problimatical - not impossible but can be tough. the 8 man will sleep 4 (on cots) but there isn't a lot of room left over. 2 people on an extended camping trip is heaven - you and all of your gear inside and dry and let it rain for 3 days - who cares.

There is a 8-man Kifaru on the Fairbanks Craigslist
    http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/spo/3947939662.html

Update: Thanks for the help. Bought a used 6 man Kifaru with both bug shields and a liner with small Kifaru stove for $900 on the Kifaru website gear forum yesterday. I thought that was a good price As this is what I was leaning towards and this same system with a medium stove was pricing out new on the web site for close to $1800 without freight. Next project down the road sometime is to find a Med stove and sell the small stove. Or get a 4 man to go with it.

Talk about luxury....five years ago I bought a Kifaru 8-man with medium box stove, liner etc. This became my instant all-time favorite hunting shelter for extended backcountry trips. Just two of us using all that space, and it's a lot of space for gear storage, woodstove and firewood. We love it. I think the 6-Man is great....just a smaller footprint. Speaking of footprint, that's one issue with larger tipis. We've occasionally had to do some brush clearing and leveling to get our tipi pitched wide and tight. BTW: My partner bought a small GoLite Shangri-La tipi to use as our backup shelter, excess gear storage, etc. We've found it makes an outstanding backcountry bath house. A small piece of tarp under foot...something to sit on...a pan of warm water...it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    Talk about luxury....five years ago I bought a Kifaru 8-man with medium box stove, liner etc. This became my instant all-time favorite hunting shelter for extended backcountry trips. Just two of us using all that space, and it's a lot of space for gear storage, woodstove and firewood. We love it. I think the 6-Man is great....just a smaller footprint. Speaking of footprint, that's one issue with larger tipis. We've occasionally had to do some brush clearing and leveling to get our tipi pitched wide and tight. BTW: My partner bought a small GoLite Shangri-La tipi to use as our backup shelter, excess gear storage, etc. We've found it makes an outstanding backcountry bath house. A small piece of tarp under foot...something to sit on...a pan of warm water...it's perfect.
    That sounds nice K dill

Yeah, you cant beat the quality and light weight of a Kifaru. Im on the hook a sawtooth and one of their new Ti stoves. Next year maybe a megatarp, that would be the cats meow for sheep season.

Good find on the 6 man, I am sure you are going to love it.

I would take a look at Seek Outside before making your final decision. Just my 2 cents.