Thread: Middle Kenai River advice & Thanks Max!

Default Middle Kenai River advice & Thanks Max!

Well first time in my kayak, second time ever to fish the middle Kenai. Hard to believe since I grew up in Kenai!

I managed two small maybe 14" rainbows on flesh flies. I have a pretty good idea on timing for beads, flesh, and others thanks to this board. I know it must depend on water levels and such but I felt I was a few feet short using a 9ft leader and an indicator. But I don't want to go longer unless it has value.

Is there a general rule of thumb or favorite leader length that works for you on the middle Kenai?

Also a huge thanks to Max at Alaska Canoe and campground. $35 for a shuttle from lower Skilak to Bing's??? That's a STEAL given the time it takes! Perfectly handled and great service from the younger gentleman who helped me!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kardinal
    Yes, your leader is a little on the short side.
    Myself and my guide buddies run 12 to 15 foot leaders in the area from Skilak to Bings.
    You may want to think about a switch rod if you're kayak fishing to help handle the extra leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Well first time in my kayak, second time ever to fish the middle Kenai. Hard to believe since I grew up in Kenai!

I managed two small maybe 14" rainbows on flesh flies. I have a pretty good idea on timing for beads, flesh, and others thanks to this board. I know it must depend on water levels and such but I felt I was a few feet short using a 9ft leader and an indicator. But I don't want to go longer unless it has value.

Is there a general rule of thumb or favorite leader length that works for you on the middle Kenai?

Also a huge thanks to Max at Alaska Canoe and campground. $35 for a shuttle from lower Skilak to Bing's??? That's a STEAL given the time it takes! Perfectly handled and great service from the younger gentleman who helped me!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Kardinal, next time before you go, just take a look at the USGS Alaska Streamflow site. Find the area you're going to fish, see what the CFS and water height is, then decide what your leader length should be.

Hey Kardinal, I play on the middle quite a bit. run 12-14 ft leader pure flouro. if not tippet flouro minimum. stay in touch Vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

Thanks for the tips all. A lot of prime water looked to be 8 to 12 ft deep on my sonar. Didn't think 9ft leader was cutting it in that zone. All my strikes though that I noticed or had was in the 5 to 8 ft deep zones. So I figured I needed a longer leader.

I like Drifters idea of a switch rod...mainly because new toys are always fun!!!

Lots to learn about this fishery. But I can't help but feel this pedal drive kayak is going to be a killer tool for solo fisherman. MUCH better than anything that requires rowing if you are alone. Should be equally effective for silvers as well...once the fisherman's expertise can catch up with his tools!!! A long way to go for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw a switch rod and get a float(centerpin) rod if you're gonna fish from a kayak. Well, ok, I guess you could get a switch rod and bring that too if you need an extra walking stick.

Quote Originally Posted by CTobias View Post
    Screw a switch rod and get a float(centerpin) rod if you're gonna fish from a kayak. Well, ok, I guess you could get a switch rod and bring that too if you need an extra walking stick.
    Yep, what he ^^^ said!!!