Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk Moose Hunt

Default Koyukuk Moose Hunt

Hey guys thought we could get a yearly thread going on Koyukuk moose hunters this year like last years "Everything Koyukuk" post. I am going up from Galena and hunting the last hunt. Will be in the 3 day area the whole season. Will have a skiff with 50 hp jet.
    I just found out last week I got a permit so very last minute hunt planning going on around my house. Having trouble getting a partner because of buddies already committed to other hunts this late in the game. But I am going with or without a partner to experience the hunt of a lifetime.

I am looking for info on gear must have's for the area, expectations on moose numbers and what you would consider a shooter up in the area. My buddy had the same tag last year and took an awesome 60" moose. I can't wait to fill a freezer full of meat. He was nice enough to share some last year and the moose chilli beans where the bomb let me tell ya! I have lots of items packed to hopefully help. My biggest worry is getting a bull down and getting him processed by myself. I have winches,comelongs,pulleys, and lots of rope packed to hopefully help. I gotta be careful and try my best to take one out of the water don't wanna deal with that if at all possible. So this will be a once in a lifetime trip for me I think. Hopefully I can make the best of it. So lets get this thing going an in a month or so hopefully some stories will start popping up on success and memories made.....

The bugs can be horrible up that way, make sure to have a head net and bug spray. A pull behind kids sled really helps get meat back to the boat or camp. I had the early season tag last year and let a 60 incher walk. The largest Bull I ever saw was up there, so if it were me I would be looking for a big one.

Good Luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Moose end up in the water often in Koyukuk country. With all the river and sloughs miles in the region ..... even moose shot on land will sometimes run to the water. Have been involved in quite a few Koyukuk "water moose" over the years ..... and some come out easier than others. You sure want to be careful if you're by yourself. It takes a lot of rigging, rope and time to drag one up high and dry ...... and a really big one can be a real challenge.

Shot this big guy one year and he ran right out in the river before dying. Tied his horns to the boat and towed him half a mile to the best available spot to try to drag him out. Moose float pretty good ....... but don't drag out of the water very easy. Had lots of help and lots of rigging ..... but still took hours to do. Butchering in the water is a tough way to go too. If you're by yourself ..... you might have to haul him out of the water one chunk at a time.

Whoa, good bull, cormit.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I have never been very far up into 3 day, just too nervous about getting stuck way up in there with no help. Like Steve said, bugs can be a real pain, especially during the early season (usually not as big of a problem with your latter hunt though) and I found that a headnet works best since the hords of little nats don't really seem to be affected by bug dope. If your running a little flat bottom with a 50hp jet, you'll be able to access some areas where most folks can't, and maybe even get into some areas that haven't seen any pressure in a while. I'm not going this year, but would be interested in hearing how things are coming together in the Galena area. I would assume that the river (Jake's) fuel pump no longer exists. Any idea whether or not this is true? Are you flying into Galena and renting a boat? Another thing to consider if you do make it up into skinny water, is keeping a close eye on levels as the days go by. Later in the season things start to harden up and water levels can drop considerably over night.

There was NO fuel on the river for sale in Galena last fall. Jake did run me into town to get fuel in my cans. On the way back I paid some locals to take me from the boat ramp to the gas station.

Also last year the water was so high that I saw Ocean boat all the way through 3 day slough. Water was up into the trees last fall.

Cheapest fuel is at Ruby, but you have to haul it to the river.

Tanana had the only fuel on the river and filter any fuel you buy and expect it all to have water in it.
    Founding Member

Was the top of 3 day open last year Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Was the top of 3 day open last year Steve?
    It was, I came in that way and was able to run my prop boat all the way back.
    Founding Member

Stid got the bug dope and headnet packed hoping for cooler weather my buddy ran into warm weather last year in the late hunt had to come out early with his moose he took on day three. The kid sled is a great idea that would be a huge help...

Yeah we are using Charlie's stuff flying into Galena and he is taking me upriver to my area. I think the flood up there this year done some real damage not sure about the fuel pump by the river quite yet. Hope the water levels go down a bunch last year they were crazy high in 3day. CORMIT that is a monster I want one just like that one!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I have never been very far up into 3 day, just too nervous about getting stuck way up in there with no help. Like Steve said, bugs can be a real pain, especially during the early season (usually not as big of a problem with your latter hunt though) and I found that a headnet works best since the hords of little nats don't really seem to be affected by bug dope. If your running a little flat bottom with a 50hp jet, you'll be able to access some areas where most folks can't, and maybe even get into some areas that haven't seen any pressure in a while. I'm not going this year, but would be interested in hearing how things are coming together in the Galena area. I would assume that the river (Jake's) fuel pump no longer exists. Any idea whether or not this is true? Are you flying into Galena and renting a boat? Another thing to consider if you do make it up into skinny water, is keeping a close eye on levels as the days go by. Later in the season things start to harden up and water levels can drop considerably over night.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue7 View Post
    CORMIT that is a monster I want one just like that one!!!!!
    That would be nice for sure, but you should probably be happy with one like Steve (stid2677) let walk away. A 60" bull is no slouch. And this is coming from a guy who's guided his hunters to 70" moose. Bulls can be different. Mass plays a big part. A friend of mine killed a 65" bull in that area, but he didn't have near the mass of the 58" bull I killed down on the Kenai. Personally imo, mass makes more of an impressive rack than width. You may want to keep that in mind as you look them over......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

4merguide I suspect I may take the first nice legal bull I come across I don't know that my trigger finger can lay off of it considering they all look huge to me. I suspect I count 4 brows and fire! HAHAHAHA How is the fishing up in the area I would like to get into some of those big pike. What type of lures should a guy throw in the box for them some large spinners? I would guess they are not gun shy at all up there since there is little pressure on them. Who else is making the boat ride up river anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue7 View Post
    4merguide I suspect I may take the first nice legal bull I come across I don't know that my trigger finger can lay off of it considering they all look huge to me. I suspect I count 4 brows and fire!
    That's probably a pretty good idea....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Make sure you bring two items. One was mentioned already is a bug head net but make sure its a "NO-see-um" Headnet and bring several pairs of laytex gloves to wear while processing your moose. The bugs started to tear our hands up upon processing and thank god we had our medical kits with those gloves. A small item with big upsides!

My buddies turned me on to shoulder length gloves like fishermen wear, work absolutely great for working with moose, keeps bugs out of your cuffs and off your arms, and the texture to the grip goes a long way compared to blood and tallow on your bare hands. Plus 5 for the kiddie sled, they are nearly essential for a solo hunt. With the sled when you stop, you actually rest, compared to huffing and puffing to keep 80-120 lbs balanced while you lean against a tree.

Best tip I can give on a solo moose, DO NOT pull a Rumsfeld, have a sane exit strategy before you pull the trigger. Shooting the first legal you see in a decent spot is indeed excellent advice as well. Hard to go hero when you are hunting alone.

I've done two, 600 and 800 yards from boat extraction, neither broke me, but they are a lot of work, take your time, one slip with the knife will make things exponentially harder or worse.

Here is a video from a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQtl2DVxKI

This is one we let walk last year, notice how high the water was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMY07DMesg
    Founding Member

Awesome moose stid! That bull that came out after downing the 62 incher was a stud of a bull I would guess 65"? I will be packing some elbow dressing gloves for the no see ums didn't think about those suckers eating on me while skinning though. My buddies bull last year jumped in the water right after shooting it. He thought it bedded in the water and come to find out it was standing in 6 ft. of water. Lucky for him when it started getting weak or whatever it came out and died on the bank 20ft in the bush. Here is a pic or two of his bull.B's Moose.jpg

I like to start a smoky fire just upwind of a kill, the smoke really helps with the bugs that all that fresh blood attracts.
    Founding Member

A better shotB bull.jpg

Has anyone heard anything on the water levels? Water level really concerns me this year. I think the river's will be low. I may need to drop some weight out of the boat. Anyone else concerned?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast