Thread: 200 gr Speer Hotcore performance pictures

Default 200 gr Speer Hotcore performance pictures

I wanted to see what a 200gr speer hotcore looked like out of my 338-06. So I gathered 6 one gallon milk containers and filled them full of water. I found the bullet in the sixth milk jug. It was explosive though 4 of them and just penciled thought the fifth one and just broke thought the sixth one. Once recovered the bullet weighted 143.7 grains. That is almost 72 percent bullet retention. For a cheap bullet im happy. I do realize there was no bone in the way ect, but im still happy with this bullet. The load I was shooting is going about 2680 FPS and I had the milk jugs set at 50 yards. Here are some pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet scale.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	72497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top bullet.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	72498

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other side of bullet.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	72499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side bullet.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	72500more pictures

Never popped a milk jug, but those correlate real well with Hotcores in that velocity range I've recovered from game. Gotta say though, that I go the extra mile to avoid big bones with any bullet, so it's ribs at most. I've been able to recover darned few of them as a result, due to complete pass-throughs with good exit holes.

Nice test there. Have you any 200 gr Hornadys to compare it with?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

No hornady bullets. When I went to pick a bullet for my cheap bullet the Speer had a lot Better B.C

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    No hornady bullets. When I went to pick a bullet for my cheap bullet the Speer had a lot Better B.C

I understand. The Hornady was my cheap bullet and more readily available in the stores down here. And after using it, found it does an excellent job on deer and elk out to 360 yds. That was my longest shot on game with this bullet.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I agree. I've whacked enough game with both Hornady and Speer to have confidence in both. I let the rifle decide which it likes best, then go from there. I have to admit though, that the choice can boil down to which is the cheapest and most available at any point in time, too. My several 7x57's all seem to prefer the Hornady's so that's what they get fed. My 284's feel the same way about Speer. Who's to argue with that?

The rifle shoots 210gr TTSX in to half inch groups. It shoots the speers in to .75 to one inch groups. I just have a hard time shooting white tails, black bears, caribo, ect with the expensive bullets when they are not needed.

I have killed black bear and caribou with 180grn HotCors from my 06' and killed moose and caribou with 225grn Hornady Spire Point Interlocks, both performed admirably. Even at 300 yards the 225grn Hornady was a pass-through after busting both shoulders of a bull caribou.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein