Thread: How do I catch silvers on bright days?

Default How do I catch silvers on bright days?

I've had great success catching silvers in the mornings, evenings, mid-day if it's low overcast and/or mid-day rain. But is there a way to trigger the bite when it's bright in the middle of the day? I've tried a myriad of lures and depths from surface down to 120' with no appreciable results.

My catch rate in bright light goes waaaaaay up when I quit trolling and start mooching, especially with cut plugs. Seems like they like lots smaller stuff on bright days, and my next exploration will be with strips of salted fillets rather than cut plugs. I'm hearing good reports, but haven't yet remembered to make up a batch of salted fillets before heading out. Interested in other folks solutions, too.

Good info. What about jigs like Crippled Herring or Buzzbombs? Or do the Silvers like a slower moving bait on the bright days?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Or do the Silvers like a slower moving bait on the bright days?
    That's been my experience, but I'm ready to learn of others experience. Most hits are coming as I lower the rod, and slow lowering is best, no matter how fast I've raised it.

Another funny thing on bright days. When mooching I get my best results using chartreuse painted weights, but the incidence of hits on the sinkers goes way up too. I've tried switching to unpainted weights and chartreuse hoochies if it gets too bad, and that works. But otherwise I don't have a lot of luck mooching with hoochies on bright days.

Regardless of the light conditions I have had great success trolling,or spin casting at the slowest speed possible while still able to impart action for the "lure". On bright days those fish typicaly go deep, but not always. Fish slow and remember, dark day-bright lure, bright day-dark lure as a rule of thumb.