Thread: Advice on buying ocean boat?

Default Advice on buying ocean boat?

Hey guys, I am looking to buy an ocean boat that can be used out of seward, whittier, and homer. I am think something along the lines of a bayliner trophy. Probably at least 20 ft long. What is anyone's recommendation for a boat that is comfortable to fish and cruise in. And can handle at least 5-8 foot waves. Any advice on motors and outdrives for a good ocean boat would also be appreciated. Thanks

What is your price range?

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    Any advice on motors and outdrives for a good ocean boat would also be appreciated. Thanks

Don't get any motor that requires an outdrive.

Default price

15-25. Sort of low for a large ocean boat buy I have seen quite a few on craig's list.

Wasilla, Alaska, United States

I would lean toward an aluminum. There is something comforting about being able to beach your boat if things turn nasty! Aluminum handles the beach MUCH better than a glass boat.

Also, you will probably find a better/newer boat (same length) for the price if you go aluminum over glass, especially for $20k or less.

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If you get something in that price range and it's an older boat, odds are good it'll need to be repowered, so definately have a budget alloted for that. It would more than stink to spend all your money, blow the engine first time out, then have to wait awhile to re-power and use it. Also consider what type of tow rig you have, for the heavier boats, you need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, preferably with a turbo diesel.

Hence I'd lean towards a slightly smaller and newer boat. You'll also enjoy the fuel savings. Some of those bigger boats really suck the gas.

Thumbs up Bayliners

Depends what you want, that sounds like a vauge statement....I know.

I own a Bayliner 2452 (1996) for me this is a great boat, yah it would be nice to be able to beach it every now and again, but for me the "camping comfort" far out weights the "beachability"
    2452's are hard tops so you can cruise in comfort, they have a head, stove and fridge (that makes my better half happy) and yet there is plenty of room for shrimp pots, downriggers, fishing poles, etc... (that makes me happy) They will handle more water than I'm comfortable with.

I put 276 miles over four days the first week of May and was comfortable the whole time, for me that is important.

Stay away from "Alpha 1" outdrives and the 5.0 L (305) motors. Mine has the Bravo two outdrive with the 5.7 L (chevy 350) I have had it for several years now with no problems. They can be found in your price range I paid 16K for this one, however I had to take a little road trip to get it (Connecticut)

Aluminum vs fiberglass.......the debate never ends. Metal is lighter, boat can be beached (although you better do it quick or you will be stranded by tides), require less maintenace.
    Glass hulls can be formed into shapes that metal can not thus giving you a much more comfortable ride (keep momma happy rule #1) and the inside of the cabin are much less prone to condesation and are quieter (see rule #1).
    Generally any inboard carb motor in either 454 or 460 will suck more gas than the Exxon Valdex spilled. The newer motors such as the 496 EFI or the 350's are more fuel efficient.
    Avoid any outboard motors running carbs as well for the same reasons.
    If the boat has outboards stay with new as possible motor's for the same reasons. EFI offer better fuel economy than carbs and the newer DFI 2 strokes are getting as good if not better better fuel economy than the newer 4 strokes and they weigh a lot less.
    Even though I own a Sea Sport I think a good boat for you in the price range you mentioned would be a Bayliner Trophy with a hardtop.

Default advice

Thanks for the info guys, I think I was right on track with a 20-24 bayliner trophy with as new and efficient outboard as possible.

Default Been there . . done that . . .

Salmonman, I started out with a 20' Trophy with a 150 Merc 2-stroke outboard on it. Added a new extended soft top, a 4-stroke kicker, and fished it like I stole it.

After 3 years, it became apparent that the 20' is really meant for two people only. Kinda intimate with just you and the spouse, but to fish you and a couple of buddies is REAL tight.

This year, I sold the trophy and bought a 26' Hewescraft Alaska (see sig below). My impressions after a whopping three hours this weekend - I shoulda moved up two years ago. The size, ride, etc. all are worth the price.

That having been said, I have always liked the 24' Trophy hardtop with the Alaska bulkhead. It's big enough to fish four guys, but provides the cruising amenities that mama likes.

I've seen them on Craigslist for less than $25K, so that's right in your ball park.

One suggestion - focus on the hull and the propulsion. Electronics might be a sweetener if you have two equivalent choices, but otherwise they're too cheap to affect a decision.The hull and the engine however, can be a big expense if you make the wrong choice.

See you on the water!

Big Lake Alaska

1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469