Thread: Summer char

Default Summer char

Who has some kind of advice or what does or has worked for char now? I'm guessing still the deepest part of lake since lake water is pretty warm in the interior. Bait? Jigs? Time of day?

Rifle River MI

Wow I can't believe no one bit on the post!!!!!!!! Visit Alaskan Salmon Slayers web page talk to Chris or Dennis they are always helpful and been there and done that. On a side note most lake fishing happens in the Thermal-cline of the lake or should I state the most consistent fishing happens there. That is not to say structure does not play a very important role just that wherever the most comfortable range temp wise is where the fishing normally is more productive. This time of year lets say Harding lake that might be at 45ft on the depth chart combine that with structure and your problem is solved. Mind you this is just an example and not where to fish. Bathing Beauty Pond which is not 90ft deep may have fishing at 20ft so on and so forth depending on the watershed you plan on fishing. Figure it out and you are 50% done to be a more productive catcher.

Tight Lines

North Pole, Ak

Here's what I learned the past two years while fly fishing a local favorite, Polaris Lake on Eielson AFB. While these weren't Harding beasts in depths like Harding I may be able to shed some light. Polaris' char were hyper active during the last week of May and the entire month of June, when the water temp ranged in the 50s and 60s. Very few guys were having luck with bait and hardware while I was having C&R days of of 10-30 fish, and other days where I would fill a stringer for the smoker. Yep, they were once that thick in there. Once the chironomids, damsels and dragonfly nymphs were coming off in numbers, that's all these guys would eat. They were mostly holdover fish in the 16-20" range that were in tune with their environment and keyed in on the natural food source. I had some ridiculous days in mid-June! As for depth, it didn't matter what depth I was fishing, they were usually 10-12 feet down on my finder. I interpreted this as the thermocline, something I had a lot of experience with in WA state. If I fished below 12' feet, I couldn't get a fish. If fishing chironomids, I would hang my pattern about 8-9' feet under an indicator and they'd come up to get it. If stripping damsel and dragonfly nymphs, I'd fish it about 7-8' feet down on an intermediate sink line. Once again, they'd rise to the occasion. When things would slow down, I would run a Pistol Pete deep and rip it to the surface with a fast retrieve. I can't tell you how many fish I hooked right on the surface, just 5-6" off the end of my fly rod! They would come up like maddened rockets, slashing the water. What a hoot!

I did, however, witness a complete collapse of the fishery from approximately the 4th of July until the third week of August. IMO, the water became too warm and the days too long for them during this period. I recall temps in the mid to upper 70s. Try as I might, I couldn't get a single take during several outings, despite constantly marking them on my finder. But as soon as late August arrived, bringing shorter days and cooler water, it was on again! Hatches were less prevalent then and my offering didn't always work, but I was able to get them regularly on white tube and curly tail jigs, which also worked well once the ice hit.

Unfortunately for me and other local anglers, Polaris and it's fish took it on the chin due to last winter. When the ice finally did melt I was greeted with the smell and sight of dozens of dead, yet still beautiful char, littering the banks and shallows. I had watched these fish grow from 14-15" gamers to 18-20" hard-charging piggies, just to perish. I fished it a few times this spring in all the most productive areas, to no avail. Too bad, it will never be the same. Rainbows will never replace those fat buggers!

Once the weather and water cools next month, fish the weed beds and shallows with tube and curly tail jigs.