Thread: Newbie/daugther looking forsmall game/fishing/camping near Anchorage

Default Newbie/daugther looking forsmall game/fishing/camping near Anchorage

Guys/Gals, I'm new to the forum and even newer to Alaska. I'm looking for an area within a couple of hours to take my daughter small game (ptarmigan, hare, grouse, whatever) hunting, fishing AND camping relatively close to Anchorage. I'd like a spot close to a lake to take her fishing.....I realize this post is both a small game hunting/fishing thread. My daughter is 9, a real trooper, and I'd like to show her the ropes...she's hunted with me before (deer, squirrel on east coast). Any areas anyone recommends? I have tents, and can rent a pop-up and canoe for the fishing.... Is it possible to find an area for both within reasonable proximity, or is that not realistic? I've considered the area near Palmer (seventeen and wishbone lakes) and area near Eklutna lake. Thoughts?

Hello and welcome. I have to say, you are asking for something that many, many, many, many, many other people want and actively search out. You would be surprised how popular and sought for small game hunting and trout fishing are, and it is tough to find anywhere relatively close to Anchorage where these things can be had without lots of other die-hards going after the same thing in the same place. For that reason, if there are any good spots relatively close to Anchorage, people will be hesitant to tell you all about them, especially publicly on this forum (that countless others can view), and you don't have enough posts yet for someone to send you a PM (private message).

That said, I'll throw a suggestion your way: Byers Lake. I consider it "relatively close" to Anchorage, although it's about 2 - 2.5 hours up the Parks Highway. They have a great camp ground there, you can fish the lake (read the regs carefully), and there is some small game around the lake to be had (READ THE REGS!!). There are lots of streams you cross on the way up and back, and you can successfully fish just about all of them. This time of the year, you'll do great on pinks, and maybe even catch a few silvers. If you know what you're doing with a fly rod, you may be able to hook into some trout, grayling, and char, but these are pretty smart and, again, sought-after fish that are quite wise to being caught.

A note on pinks: If people have told you pinks are no good, I would encourage you to see for yourself. The problem with pinks is that they "spawn out" quickly, so make sure they look bright and shiny, not dull and snarled. The skin can be a good litmus test - if the scales are still firm, the fish is likely good. If they are at all mushy and starting to meld to the skin (you can't easily flip them up), toss the fish back; it's no good.

A note on the regs: READ THEM CAREFULLY!! Most small game is closed until August 10. Small game regs are at the back of the book, but once you find it, it's pretty straight-forward (except for unit 14C, which is the area around Anchorage. Be careful here - most easily accessible land in 14C is closed to hunting). Fishing is anything but straight-forward. Not only does just about every stream you can access have its own set of regs, most have at least two zones along the stream with different regs, like certain regs from the mouth to such-and-such bridge, then it changes. Read them with care!

And above all, get out there and have some fun!!! -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Welcome Tony,
    Like Greg said, your request for the perfect combo is a little difficult right now. There are several spots in the valley you can take the kiddo and do camping and fishing. Kepler-Bradley lake would be a good choice if you want really close. Little camp ground and canoe rentals. If you have a boat, finger lake wouldn't be bad. If you dont mind driving a bit, Nancy lake system has public use cabins, camp grounds, canoe trails, and rentals. There are several more though. Have fun out there and be safe!

Thanks for the info! I realize the regs here require a bit getting used to...they are more specific than any hunting/fishing regs I've seen (in regards to areas) and I've hunted in many different states. I'm definitely interested in the pinks, perhaps I'll become more of a salmon "snob" after I'm up here a bit, but as for right now they sound great! I certainly didn't expect anyone to give up a honey hole-- just a general area where we might have fair success. Thanks again for the reply, and I'll keep doing my research...intend to do the trip right around the 10th of August.

Last I checked there were additional small game regs (more specific season openings for different small game) for unit 14 that you need to get from F&G on Raspberry road.

Sorry forgot to add. Willow and Montana creeks both have campgrounds right off the Parks. Both creeks have pinks, chums, silvers and trout. Again, have fun out there!

Well, I gave Hatcher Pass a shot for ptarmigan/grouse...didn't see anything, but had a nice time hiking with my daughter.... Not sure what terrain I should be hunting, I hunting along the creek for a bit, and then somewhat higher up into the more rocky areas.... Then headed to the Little Susitna to camp and fish. Wife and daughter both lost a silver and I caught one despite being a greenhorn to salmon fishing.....must've been the luckiest fish in the creek that day! Thanks for all the input...guess I need to do some more research for grouse and ptarmigan. I