Thread: Newbie/daugther looking forsmall game/fishing/camping near Anchorage

Default Newbie/daugther looking forsmall game/fishing/camping near Anchorage

Guys/Gals, I'm new to the forum and even newer to Alaska. I'm looking for an area within a couple of hours to take my daughter small game (ptarmigan, hare, grouse, whatever) hunting, fishing AND camping relatively close to Anchorage. I'd like a spot close to a lake to take her fishing.....I realize this post is both a small game hunting/fishing thread. My daughter is 9, a real trooper, and I'd like to show her the ropes...she's hunted with me before (deer, squirrel on east coast). Any areas anyone recommends? I have tents, and can rent a pop-up and canoe for the fishing.... Is it possible to find an area for both within reasonable proximity, or is that not realistic? I've considered the area near Palmer (seventeen and wishbone lakes) and area near Eklutna lake. Thoughts?

Tony, Don't be discouraged by the lack of response to your inquiry. Its still a bit early and most the members that frequent this particular forum are off doing other things. Expect the activity to pick up in the next month or so.

As for your question about Eklutna there are some restrictions there. It's an archery only area so if you were thinking of bringing the .22 it wouldn't be allowed. You can get the regs for unit 14C here. There are other areas that allow firearms near there but do consider the terrain. Kids only seem to have endless energy .

Do read the previous post in this forum for some valuable info. Stickies and non stickies alike are full of some tips from a group of very knowledgeable people.

Tony, I am in the same boat. Trying to get the boy (8yr) out for some grouse and hare. He has already shot deer in texas but will only be able to enjoy small game this year. I would like to find some ground in 14A or B. If you want to get the kids together for a hunt let me know.

Go to the Fort Richardson main gate and sign into their computer to get a user permit. The personnel working the office should be able to help you out and give you all the info you need. The system just went computer based now so there is a web site to visit before you visit the base. Just make sure to log in and out of the areas you intend to hunt and clean up after yourself you'll be surprised at how many civilians come on base to hunt that have no respect for the property they are on. As for hunting once you get to your area you are signed into pick the first trail you come to and start walking. Good hare and grouse hunting can be had on base once you figure where to find them. Keep ID and your permit on your person at all times as we do have patrols that check them even out in the middle of nowhere.

Bret, that may be an idea...how soon are you looking to get out?

Well, I gave Hatcher Pass a shot for ptarmigan/grouse...didn't see anything, but had a nice time hiking with my daughter.... Not sure what terrain I should be hunting, I hunting along the creek for a bit, and then somewhat higher up into the more rocky areas.... Then headed to the Little Susitna to camp and fish. Wife and daughter both lost a silver and I caught one despite being a greenhorn to salmon fishing.....must've been the luckiest fish in the creek that day! Thanks for all the input...guess I need to do some more research for grouse and ptarmigan.

Tony,

I've taken a lot of ptarmigan out of Hatcher Pass, but no grouse. They can be seen just about anywhere, but what works best (for me, at least) is walking the edges of alder patches. Generally, there are more of them the higher up you go. We spooked some right off the road the other day right above the Mile 16 sledding hill drop off, and were able to follow them into a gully and shoot a few with the bows! For grouse, if you have archery equipment, we've had great luck out in the Nancy Lake area. Have to watch the "1/4 mile from any structure" rule though. I'm not too familiar with hunting around Anchorage, but if you PM me, I have a few spots in mind out here in the Valley that have plenty of grouse!
    Ryan from Wasilla