Thread: kayaks and halibut

Default kayaks and halibut

I have several buds in WA that halibut fish from their kayaks out in the Neah Bay area, anyone in SE or PW or the Homer area doing this? We've fishing for years for salmon from yaks but just did not bother with the bottom fishing. The Nantucket Sleigh ride I've seen from GoPro shots of the hook ups looks great. Anyway if there are some of you out there doing this please share your fun.Scott

been down here in Ketchikan for a year now, caught about 8 this summer between 10-18lb range. last fall i pulled in a 85lb, first trip out none the less, that one i had to tow into shore and have a friend net/drag it ashore. for me? i like a 25-40lb TDR trolling rod(long enough to get around the point of the kayak should i need it), im running a penn fathom 25lwlh with 65lb braid. the kayak is the neighbor's and its a little 12 sit on top, and my garmin with blue charts loaded. the gps is key to get a drift going, finding where abouts im getting bites, then setting back in the same spot and hitting the fish again and again. good luck maybe ill get some pictures up(no good ones with the big guy on the kayak unforutnatly). Best of luck, biggest thing is to get on the water!

Growing numbers of us fishing from SOTs for halibut as well as salmon. Check out the Alaska Regional Forum on Northwest Kayak Anglers dot com.

Some basic info and blog entries plus videos.
    https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf...e-prey/halibut

Its from my personal kayakfishing site.

nice set up. have fun and keep the fish coming in

Quote Originally Posted by akfishergal View Post
    Growing numbers of us fishing from SOTs for halibut as well as salmon. Check out the Alaska Regional Forum on Northwest Kayak Anglers dot com.
    Thanks saw the site and it's just not for me.