Thread: Can someone show me the ropes

Default Can someone show me the ropes

Hello my name is Ben im 24 I'm looking for someone to show me how to trap ill help you set and maintain you trap line if you put me up I just wanna learn from someone that does this for an income and can teach me the business I wouldent mind if I help you the whole season getting paid in gear that would be pretty sweet message me back on here and we can exchange numbers

Ps I just got done setnetting and I really need work so if you have work to do I'm your guy

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It might help to tell a bit about yourself what kind of cold weather trapping experience and outdoor knowledge do you have . How long have you lived in Alaska ? 2 weeks or all your life. DO you know how to ride a snow machine and do simple or even complicated repairs. If I was interested in picking up a partner to help, which I am not, these are a few of the things I would want to know before even talking with you.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Another factor is what location are you in the state? What gear do you already have? What gear would your future partner need to provide for you to tag along? Oh alot of guys from my experience do it as a hobby and dont really count on it bringing in any income.

I doubt there are many, if any people left in state who make enough money trapping to take on a paid partner, even if its in gear.

I haven't lived in Alaska long yes I know how to ride a snow machine

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4

Wild4alaska i think the best way for you to gain experience is to ask a few guys to take you on their line. Of course this is their line and i would not expect to keep anything on their line but there is one thing you will be able to keep. Knowledge, you will be able to keep the information you learned and be able to go out and trap animals for yourself. There are alot of guys that have trapping partners but they usually share equally. Meaning they both share the fuel bill and they both share the cost of traps and the time spent on the line. Trapping is not cheap and is not an easy source of income. My best advice is to start out with a small line and learn from trial and error. Read as much as you possibly can on trapping animals in Alaska that you think would be fun, And invest a little bit of money in some traps and get out there and try it out. Oh one other thing, people on this forum will not treat you very seriously, if you don't try your best to answer all the questions they have for you.

Alaskan fever I'm located in coopers landing until Sept when my contract for work is up here. I have some hiking gear and I'm working on getting more also looking into buying a sled very soon and some traps. I haven't lived in Alaska long but I lived in Pennsylvania and it gets below zero there in the winter so I do have experience there and I'm comfortable living off grid

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 4

Supporting Member

Depending upon where you settle for the fall/winter, you might consider taking one of the trapping schools offered by the two tapping associations in the state. The Alaska Frontier Trappers Association out of Palmer, offers a general trapping school annually on the first Saturday in October. Tuition includes lunch, a one year membership, magazine, trapping manual, T-shirt, and a goody bag. Call 907-232-5531 for details or check out the application and costs at the AFTA website: www.akfrontiertrappers.com