Thread: Canoe duckboat

Default Canoe duckboat

Any folks here turned a canoe into a duck hunting rig?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I did retrieves with my 90lb lab out of my nucanoe and it has a blind for it

I'm thinking of turning my 15' Coleman into a duck hunting type canoe.Pull the seats add a couple thwarts use my outriggers for shooting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Going to wiiiiiiide

I am doing that right now. I just purchased a 17' esquif cargo and a 6.5 copperhead. I installed Kevlar skid plates, beefed up the stern with more Kevlar, and rearranged the seats and thwarts. I am now finishing up the camo paint job. Next, is to install axles and build wheels for my built a in dolly.

a cargo canoe and square transome would work good i think, and 6 hp mud buddy with it. neighbor has a grummon cargo canoe i thought about buying, but i need something that can be carried across dry ground and really don't want to have to make several trips with motor and additional gear. But good rig to hunt from. just too much boat for me to be interested in dragging/caarry it and gear around without help.

people have been hunting from standard canoes since before guns were around to do the killing. my thoughts are too unsteady to hunt with a dog and another person, but light and easy to get around is a plus. you might find a post from goosewoman and ask her about hunting with her canoe, she has used it for years i know and likes it. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Any folks here turned a canoe into a duck hunting rig?
    I'd take a canoe any day of the week over a duck boat. At least with certain canoes, you can pull them over land, and hunt far more than waterfowl.

If you look back a year or so I have pictures of my Esquif Cargo that I modded like AKCary except I put the grab bar on mine that allows me to cover up with camo net and shoot sitting or stand up if I want. I have only used it twice, both in rivers in MD before I moved to ID but it worked just fine and it seems you can catch fish out of it too. I'm using a Merc. 9.9 hp at half throttle most of the time and it is significantly smoother than a single cylinder motor and it will fly on calm waters with two on board. I'm not saying it is a good craft to recover my Labs from the water but for most other things...it's just fine with the stiffened bottom to stop the oil canning.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Last month I was thinking about building a set of outriggers for my canoe and incorporating a detachable swim step into one side so the lab can climb back on board from the water. Anyone ever see a setup like that?

I'm figuring an aluminum pipe framework with some structural tubing lattice work that has c-clamps at the 4 contact points with the gunwales for attachment to the canoe. Need to find or build a couple lightweight pontoons for the outriggers, and then the framing in between will be some easy aluminum work. I was thinking about a set of steps with some flotation built into them down at waterline to help offset the weight of the dog as it climbs up. They would fold up and over the top of the outrigger frame for travel, then flip back into the water when you're sitting. The hinge/attachment point would be to the stern side of the outrigger frame with the steps running parrallel to the keel line of the boat. The dog would walk up the steps and then make a 90 turn at the top of the outrigger to come onto the boat. Obviously there has to be a walking platform on top of the outrigger frame and everything will need to have slip-resistant coatings. With an easily removable hinge pin, the whole stair assembly can be detached from the outrigger frame when it isn't needed and you just want to run the outriggers for stability (such as going fly fishing).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by akcarv View Post
    I am doing that right now. I just purchased a 17' esquif cargo and a 6.5 copperhead. I installed Kevlar skid plates, beefed up the stern with more Kevlar, and rearranged the seats and thwarts. I am now finishing up the camo paint job. Next, is to install axles and build wheels for my built a in dolly.
    Carv, this is amazing work you are doing. it may be hard to beat your set up. I hoisted that very canoe up on a scale.....92.5 lbs. Your motor weighs exactly 77.3 lbs with oil. With a little bit of paint and kevlar.....shouldn't be nothing. PM me your mailing address if you don't mind, I have an extra emergency kill switch button for you! With three men in that very boat with that very motor, we went beyond 10 mph, but the hull wouldn't take anymore speed. with your addition of kevlar......you may hit 12 mph with three men.

I'm beginning the process of that very thing; I have a 15' Grumman Square Stern, and I'm pretty excited about making it into a duck (and other) hunting boat. Speaking of which: Mainer, I got your PM; Ill try to call you this week. I'm still working on the outboard, but I'm hoping to take it to Tangle Lakes week after next.