Thread: Packrafting for Caribou in July (success)

Default Packrafting for Caribou in July (success)

Hey folks, nothing like this has ever happened to me before, so I thought I'd share the experience with you. Here's a video of the experience I had with a young caribou last week. I took my PR-49 far up the Kug in NW Alaska and caught a few char, rafted high water, and had a great wilderness experience up close and personal.

Maybe the Simms waders in combination with the Kryptek solids was the key to my success...LOL

Let me know what you think...

Remember, it's not harassment if the wildlife pursues you!

Larry

Amazing and sad at the same time.

Thanks for sharing.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

We had a similar experience once with a tiny black tail fawn. It kept trying to suckle on our pants. As Stid said, amazing and sad at the same time. But life, and death, march on.

How cool, yet a bummer knowing the likely outcome.
    Thanks for sharing.
    BK

Luckily the only predator tracks were a week or so old...a wolf pack of 5-6 animals, likely followed the main herd over the hills toward Red Dog Mine. It might make it if her momma's teets show up. Little gal needed some milk in a bad way, some comfort and security too.

thanks guys,

Larry

We found a moose calf in the same condition one year and circumstances allowed us to rescue it. We turned it in to the Troopers and it ended up at the Alaska Zoo. It was a cow; the zoo had a young bull about the same age (two weeks), and they shipped both of them to a zoo in Germany. I don't know the circumstances of the bull that was rescued, but the cow we brought in was orphaned. We stumbled on to a fairly fresh bear kill, and all four hooves of the mama were sticking out from under a dirt pile. The calf was down by the river and we were coming by in our jet boat and spotted the calf at the water line.

Kinda surprising that this calf was not killed by predators yet. Mama was probably chased down and killed, leaving the calf abandoned. I agree with you, this calf needed something to eat in the worst way. What can you do but float on, in a situation like that? It's not often that the drama of life and death touches us this directly or in this way, but when it does I think it changes us somehow.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

well, it definitely brings to surface a great deal of compassion for living things. It reminds me at least, that hunters are not just killers (#1) and that (#2) animals and humans can communicate through body language and tenderness.

cheers,

larry

Larry
    Awesome video, it is suprising what mother nature throws at us everyonce in a while.

Scott

Guiding one Spring in GMU 13 I was in the midst of many caribou with new born calves. The creek I was on was a torrent. Neither I and my hunter could cross at the usual small fords. Water was in to the brush and over the bank. While glassing for bears we observed a number of cows crossing the creek and the teeny calves try too. They were so small. I remember commenting how round their little foreheads looked.

Flooding water can strand calves far from there momma's. Injuries, cuts and sprains could surely occur especially to the littler calves. It is possible the calf will reunite with it's cow. I saw that happen. I also saw what looked like cows looking and not finding and calves killed in the torrent. It was very moving, such a depiction of real life, such a tumult of life and drama during those crossings in an area that is probably generally bereft of much of any activity.

Very cool video, not soon forgotten. Thank you, Larry.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Default Life is hard

That really brings into perspective, that it is not always us and them, in the animal kingdom, or with the human race. That did hurt a bit, lifes just not fair to all, and loneliness and death is everywhere.

We just have to try and remember that mother nature is not biased as it would seem sometimes.....

Surely was a gift for you Larry.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

agreed. a precious gift indeed.

Absolutely amazing. That sort of thing goes on all the time in the wild of course, but like others have said, never so up close.
    Everything has to eat of course, starvation is never a pretty picture, and Wolf pups are just like little dogs.
    My buddy and I came across a Dall lamb two years ago with a badly injured leg. There were some ewes around, but you just knew the poor thing wasn't going to make it.
    You are a very fortunate man to have had that encounter. Thanks for sharing that video.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

That had to be surreal man.....exciting and sad at the same time. Makes you FEEL alive.