Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SE Blacktails 2013

Default SE Blacktails 2013

Yah yah yah so sheep season starts in 339 hours and something seconds. But for those of us whose August mountain hunting tops out at 3000 feet of sopping wet alpine the season starts in only 128 hours. But hey, whose counting.

I know there's been a few picture posts of the abnormally color phased "glacier deer", but since this annual thread is a little late to be started and I got a good look at a blue deer I thought I would kick things off.

Glacier Deer.jpg

I've been kept quite busy with work but managed to scout a couple places that look pretty promising this year, for those forum members making a trip to SE or Kodiak the winter was very mild and winter-kill was next to nill in most areas. Numbers are generally up IMHO. Didn't see much this morning, but these three made my day! No snow up top is sure an improvement over last year. I hope we get some June weather during August instead of this gloomy July WX. Foggy mist on the tops is fine while on the water but not as good for glassing bucks.

Good luck to all with the freezer filling or in finding a wall hanger. Hopefully I can do both this year! 127 hours...

2009 118.jpg

thats pretty cool, ive seen a couple deer taken in that area like that. i shot this one out at game creek a while back

It'll be first light in 10 hours. Who all is going up?

That is a sweet mount pike!!

I'm hoping to get my first blacktail this year but probably won't happen for a few more months. Can't wait to see some more pics and stories from ye alpine!

Rich

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Not me, working.. URG

But I did detour on the way to work and just glassed a successful hunter on Douglas. If it happened to be a fellow forum member Congrats! Not much headgear on the buck but it will sure taste good!

Hoping to hear a couple stories and pics from the guys who made it out on opening day. Love that alpine country!

Going up this Saturday with a good friend. I live in Fairbanks now and it's been 3 years since I hunted some alpine deer. I'm pumped

Default Opening Weekend

This thread needs a little life injected into it. Here's my buck from this weekend. One of my top bucks to date. With the nice weather there's got to be some more success stories out there.

P1110939.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    This thread needs a little life injected into it. Here's my buck from this weekend. One of my top bucks to date. With the nice weather there's got to be some more success stories out there.

P1110939.jpg
    Nice, love that alpine hunting.

One of my top bucks to date.

P1110939.jpg
    No Kiddin! Thats about as big as they come! Gotta to get down to Southern SE one of these days...

This thread is a little picture light. I have seen some huge bucks in the last week yet nothing posted on here. here is mine from last weekend, not the biggest but he wil do. Took 1.5hrs longer to get off the mountain than to go up because we took a "short cut". deer 2013.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Took 1.5hrs longer to get off the mountain than to go up because we took a "short cut".
    Where'd you take that one at?

Nice buck

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

P1110939.jpg
    That will definitely inject some life into things....and some jealousy.....that is a fantastic buck, congratulations. I'll be hoppin with work and fun until late Sept. so I will be chasing them in the tweener stage.....i.e. take the gun for a walk til the snows come. Hope SE's weather continues this dry run for you all.

Scorpion- it was in alder hell, that is as much as I can say.

I can tell you that buck had over and inch of fat all over him and was very healthy. We saw two sets of twin fawns that one of each set had already started to loose thier spots and ther bodies were very well defined, somthing I have never seen this time of year. There were two other bucks with the one I got, one that was about the same size but no eye guard on one side and the others horns were just outside his ears. They all looked very healthy. Should be a good year!

Bumping this up... how's the hunting looking on Prince of Wales for this season?

Fullcurl
    P1110939.jpg

mallardman
    deer 2013.jpg

Nice bucks!

Another forum member, myself and a third guy had a good opening weekend.
    Alpine is awesome...

Anybody been out lately?

Here's one we got on Labor Day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378353580.894988.jpg

We have been busy .... Taylor took the nice P&Y scoring buck, His first Big Game hunt and first stalk ... with a bow, even.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast