Thread: Sheep Shaped! Bob and I are ready for Aug 8th fly out to DS165!

Default Sheep Shaped! Bob and I are ready for Aug 8th fly out to DS165!

Well, Bob and I have been working hard and getting into shape, ready for sheep! Been a great last several months watching Bob do all the planning and scheduling and having him call biologists and air carriers. He made his decision on where we are going, so we'll see how he did! I've had him hiking up mountains, gold mining, fly fishing and hiking. Now he's out-hiking me in the mountains, so I may have done too well... lol!

Anyhow, good luck to all the sheep hunters, and other hunters out there as we get ready for another great fall! May we all have full freezers!

Attached is a pic of Bob at our gold mine up Surprise Creek.

Claude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude,

Hope you and Bob have a great trip! Great job getting him so involved in the hunt planning at an early age. Take lots of pics and share your hunt with us when you get back!

Will do! We plan on putting together an epic story, with our without a harvested sheep. It'll be part of his homeschool work, so we are having him keep a journal of the entire trip!

Good luck Claude & Bob!
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    It'll be part of his homeschool work, so we are having him keep a journal of the entire trip!
    Now THAT'S some homeschoolin' at it's finest......lucky kid...!!!....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Go get 'em Bob!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Now that one smart kid he already supervising the workers. LOL

Best of luck to both of you Claude, and I look forward to hearing all about your trip! I wonder whether Bob would consider editing some of his journal as a post trip story here...I know many of us would enjoy hearing about it through his eyes, and it would be a way to extend his assignment into the editing and "publishing" phase. Would also be interested to hear his perspective on how he chose your destination, and whether he was happy with his choice after your trip.

Best of luck to both of you this season, and congrats....I can tell you are going to have a wonderful trip, whether you come home with a ram or not!

good luck!!!!! And be safe out there!!!!!

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that Bob decided to get after it. Back in February he didn't seem too thrilled about the prospect of training and climbing, but it sounds like he's ready to go now. Good luck!

Yeah, good point Brian. He was really nervous about flying, hiking, etc. But since then we have hiked to top of some mountains around here, and he was even able to fly in a super cub of Tony Lee's this spring. After that flight, he decided to become a pilot! He got his new to him .243 all sighted in, and he's holding 4 inch groups at a 100 yards with it. So I have put his max range at 200 yards if he gets just a little bit better with it. He's gathering up all the required gear now.

What happened on your sheep hunt?...I see you posted 8 hours ago on another thread, was really wanting to hear about your hunt, my son has DS165 and we will be flying in this Sunday, weather premitting!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

We are working on our story. We got home last night. Had a great time out there. Success wasn't dependent upon a sheep, and we didn't score, but made memories of a lifetime. We did see over 250 sheep over the 5-6 days we stayed out. ramhunter, send me a pm so we can see if we are hunting the same area. I can give you some good tips, if so!
    We had no major issues while out there, cept we both found a diet of mountain house needs to be combined with ex lax! Guess I should have remembered that!
    Anyhow, Bob will be working on the story and pictures today! Thanks for the well wishes all! Now onto caribou, moose, and bear!
    Claude

Ok, cool that you had a great time and made the memories!...yup and it's always about getting out there with family and having a good time!...

PM coming your way! THX
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner