Thread: River speed

Default River speed

Does anyone know the average flow rate (speed MPH) of many of the western streams like the Innoko or Holitna? I am trying to calculate how many hours needed to float approx 60 river miles of a river simular to the ones mentioned. I have found the Kusko flows 5-8 MPH but that all the info I could dig up. Thanks..

I have never floated either of the rivers you are referring to but I have floated many different rivers in Alaska. I use my GPS while floating to determine my river speed. On some very fast moving rivers like the Tanana you can get up to 5-6 MPH. On some of the slower moving rivers I have floated like Moose Creek/Deshka River the river speed is right around 2 MPH. I have floated down rivers with a cataraft loaded down with moose meat and 8 MPH would be extremely fast in my opinion. On most rivers the average speed is right around 3-4 MPH.

Holitna is about like the Kuskokwim. You should call Sleetmute and Red Devil corp stores and ask how the water levels are.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

plan on 20 hours to float the Holitna 60 miles (river miles not nautical), average september flow provides river speeds in a raft about 2.5 mph with moderate load on board.

Innoko varies dependent on where you start from. The upper flow is about 3-4 mph, the lower is closer to 2-3 mph.

I agree with Bushwack, rely on your GPS speed indicator at the time you're floating to calculate the best Dead Reckoning ETA to your destination.

larry

Thanks guys. Larry, got into your book this weekend and found the chapter about calculating float times. The kid and I are getting excited!

sweet, hope it helps. Good luck with your son this year.

larry

lol, DAUGHTER! I finished the book again last night. You confirmed many times things I have noticed about animal behavior and also was amazed on how simular my hunting list of gear and food was to yours. I did learn quite a few things I never thought about and would recomend the book to anyone planning a float, especailly their first one. Thanks for putting it out. This won't be the first hunt on the river but first float..