Thread: Best books on cabin construction?

Default Best books on cabin construction?

Hi all, have been reading the forum every once in a while but finally wanted to post a thread. I am looking for a good comprehensive book (or books) that will help me look at the right things when planning my goal. I live in a dry cabin in Fairbanks now and want to get some land and build my own. Now, this is a long way off. I'm a youngin. That also means i'm broke.

But if I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. If I can have every piece of the process already mapped out in my head, it will make it that much easier when I can afford it down the road. Everything from site selection, to foundation choices, to fine interior woodwork, to just plain inspiration.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I hope they send you a commission. I just bought 2 of them.(already have Tom Walker's book).

Here is a free pdf. I have a bound hard copy that the Alaska Housing Finance Co. was distributing about 10 years ago. Now you can download if off their website. It is a great resource for log construction.

http://www.ahfc.us/files/5613/5716/0...n_logmanlo.pdf

http://www.ballanmackie.com/ My best advice: read and study everything B. Allen Mackie has ever written....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I've a friend who is in the construction business, and he told me to get "Smoley's Trusses and Framing" for lear ing how to design and build your own roof trusses.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Here is a free pdf. I have a bound hard copy that the Alaska Housing Finance Co. was distributing about 10 years ago. Now you can download if off their website. It is a great resource for log construction.

http://www.ahfc.us/files/5613/5716/0...n_logmanlo.pdf
    Great resource! Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much gravel is recommended underneath the post and pad foundation referenced on page 26. I think I am going to do a foundation like that for our cabin when my wife and I finally get all of our materials out to our property. Does anybody know what kind of gravel is recommended and how many inches of gravel is recommended for a post and pad foundation? Also, should the gravel be spread completely underneath the structure, or just underneath the pads?