Thread: WX on VHF?

Default WX on VHF?

I was out in PWS last couple of days and couldn't get a weather report. My radio has a wx button that has always produced info in the past including at home in the driveway. I was wondering if the system was down or if I have a radio problem. I did a radio check and got a loud and clear response so I can send/receive. Are there specific weather channels I can tune into if by chance my wx button is not working properly? Thanks for any help on this.

You should have about 10 weather channels on your VHF.
    Maybe you switched to one with no service by accident?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    That would be my guess too.

Here's a link to the Coast Guard's VHF radio channel listing - http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf

If you look at your tide table book it will tell the location and frequency of all the Alaska WX channels.

And, if you were up north that's kinda normal.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Not arguing, but in the past and from the same location I would just hit the wx button and it would spit out a weather report without any switching at all. I'm inexperienced so I'll agree that I likely I'm doing something wrong. Got out my tide book and dialed in the freq. per MacGyvers prompt got the wx so if the wx button doesn't do it, that will. Jaydog's link also answered a couple questions I was about to ask. Thanks everyone for your input and help!!

Each radio is likely a bit different. For mine, I press the wx button and it picks the weather station with the strongest signal. In some places (like Nellie Juan) I get a partial signal from two stations. The wx button might not always make the best choice so I manually turn the knob to one of the others depending on which way the boat is heading.

Or your antenna connection did what mine did, BROKE, so I bought a better one and installed it right. Now I get a killer signal.