Thread: hand crank pot pullers

Default hand crank pot pullers

Where and which one is a good buy. Just tried setting out some pots the other day and hand hauling that rope is no fun. Not looking to spend the money on an electric puller at this time. Thanks

Default pot lifting options

Bulldog, I haven't gone to a powered set-up yet, but I'm thinking about it. But, I'd never pull them in by hand...ugh. If you search this forum...there have been several threads on this topic recently (I just searched for "pot pullers"). Here's one of them:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=pullers

I dont longline my shrimp pots, and I still use my "AnchorLift"...here's a link to it at Cabela's...but I think B&J's in Anchorage carries them (that's where I bought mine a few years back):

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036769018322a.shtml

It uses your engine's power against the drag and flotation of the buoy to lift the pot...and it has a one-way lock that keeps the rope from sliding back through when not under tension. It's cheap, easy to use and takes up no space. You just have to be a bit careful not to run the boat too fast when lifting (I usually putt between 5-7 knots when lifting) . A friend of mine torqued his pots out of shape a bit by (they were'nt all that sturdy to begin with) by trying to rush things. And when lifting, always make sure to tow towards deeper water to make sure the pot doesn't drag/snag on anything.

I'll probably keep doing things this way unless I get really serious and find the time to get out more often. If I were to go to power, I've heard good things about the Ace Line Hauler. Easy installation...particularly easy if you already have Scotty electric downriggers (or just want a nifty excuse to get electric downriggers...that little rationalization seems to be edging me to the decision point), because it works on their mounts and power outlet. There's considerable discussion about this model and a few others on the various other threads.

Good Luck.

I'd reccomend the buddy system, your buddy pulls the pot while you coil the line
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default bouy system

ive never even set pots out but will sometime. ive had alot of time to think about how to get them back without spending the money on an electric puller. if you are with another boat you could always hook a small pulley to one of the boats and pull slowly with the other boat. the bouy system ive heard takes a toll on pots because of the speed that they come up and ive heard of people losing shrimp as well. i wonder if a trailer bouy would produce enough drag to really get a nice slow pull on the pots. the first bouy would work mostly verticle pulling while a trailer bouy tied off ten feet or so back would create more horizontal pull so you could slow your pull down and not thrash things up so much. if anyone tries let me know how it works. seems reasonably logical

Hmmm....that last post got me thinking (dangerous...). How about attaching a sea anchor to the bouy to help slow it down while you pull? I don't think the sea anchor would work well by itself, it would probably just sink. But, in combination with the bouy it may work quite well and allow you to lift at a much slower speed.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 5 gallon bucket

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Hmmm....that last post got me thinking (dangerous...). How about attaching a sea anchor to the bouy to help slow it down while you pull? I don't think the sea anchor would work well by itself, it would probably just sink. But, in combination with the bouy it may work quite well and allow you to lift at a much slower speed.
    We have clipped a 5 gallon bucket to the bouy. It creates enough drag so that you can just idle away. Once you use an electric puller, you won't go back to any other method, though.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

1.I have pulled by hand and won't ever do that again given the choice.
    2.Pulled using a bouy and I wasn't very fond of that either.
    3.Then did the 2 boat trick, it worked but was slow and had me concerned and ready with a knife just incase another boat headed our way with 600' of line out between us, it could be dangerous...........
    4.Invested $400 ish on a puller and wouldn't do it any other way. I don't want to spend all day pulling pots.

I haven't seen a hand crank model but I can't imagine anyone hand cranking pots in by hand, especially after watching that puller go at it. I don't know anyone with big enough arms coupled with that much stamina.

if you had some mechanical advantage, like gears and whatnot, i dont think it would be that bad.....

then again, if you could just push a button, and coil some rope, that would be the ticket... lol

Most people won't even want to real up a 4# cod sinker in 400-600' of water. I'm thinking after just one manual pull of a shimp string you'd be buying an electric puller.

I thought such a thing exist but guess not. I did hand pull 2 pots on one line...lucky there where only 20 shrimp in both I will get an electric puller someday..thanks for the info

Default Hand pulled

Nothing tastes better then shrimp you worked for. I've hand pulled for years with three pots on a line. I tried the bouy method and stopped after seeing a trail of shrimp floating away. I bought a manual pot puller from BJ's. It attaches to your rod holder, and if you get the boat rocking and pull with the motion, its relativly easy, just takes longer.
    Good luck to you but beware, had some pots vandalized in culross, I'm pretty sure I know the boat who did it and if you are reading this, you better believe I won't forget.

Todd

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default dangerous

guess i didnt really think about if some boat came whizzing in between two boats only 600 feet apart. id never do it but that dosent mean it wouldnt happen. id never try the two boat thing in rough water either. if there was a chance that another boat would come in contact with any line tailing behind the boat i cant see the bouy system being any safer. be safe and think of all possibilities before acting.