Thread: Cucumber questions

Default Cucumber questions

I am growing several cucumbers this year and they look wonderful. They are called a Spacemaster Bush hybrid and are advertised as suitable for containers. I put them in 7 gallon pots and they seem happy. The problem is that the fruit is bitter. I am harvesting them at 6-8 inches, which is what the seed packet recommends. Is it something I am doing or is it the variety? I use jobes organic fertilizer and pro mix and water faithfully. There is lots of fruit and tons of flowers. We do not have a compost pile (yet) and I am curious if that would help. It seems like it would. Next year I am planning on trying Sweet Success but if I could improve this years crop that would be a good thing. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3464 View Post
    I am growing several cucumbers this year and they look wonderful. They are called a Spacemaster Bush hybrid and are advertised as suitable for containers. I put them in 7 gallon pots and they seem happy. The problem is that the fruit is bitter. I am harvesting them at 6-8 inches, which is what the seed packet recommends. Is it something I am doing or is it the variety? I use jobes organic fertilizer and pro mix and water faithfully. There is lots of fruit and tons of flowers. We do not have a compost pile (yet) and I am curious if that would help. It seems like it would. Next year I am planning on trying Sweet Success but if I could improve this years crop that would be a good thing. Thanks!
    I don't have any answers for the bitter cucumbers... however, I think you'll enjoy the Sweet Success next year. We sure do.. They grow big and are sweet.. We only planted 3 vines, and they've given us a steady supply of cucumbers all summer..

More water less fertilizer
    More just plan water.
    Salts in the fert's can make them bitter if they don't get lots of water.
    I fertilize cucs once per week to 10 days & give them lots & lots of water.

Watch the growing tips of the vine. When the leaves stay smaller than normal,
    give the plans some fertilizer. I'd water 2 to 3 times per day with the weather we've been having.

Good luck
    My sweet success have been exceptional this year. Using lots & lots of water.