Thread: Rockfish trouble

Default Rockfish trouble

Long time reader of the forum and have searched the forums but not finding what I think Im looking for. There might be the problem, im thinking. haha. What type of areas should I be looking for in prince william to catch black rockfish? Maybe more general areas and structure to look for? East side of knight, manning rocks, apple gate? These good ideas or not? Maybe the Needle? etc. I spend most of my time around Latouche but any tips could help me. I understand further out is best and thats fine by me, I can go anywhere from my port of Whittier to the southend of Montague or north end no problem. It would be nice to get those and my halibut. I understand asking for this type of help is a very touchy subject. However, Id be willing to send some help of my own to you as well in the case of a PM if somebody helped me out that much.

Thanks and good luck fishing to everybody!

I wish I could say there's an area I've gotten into them consistantly, but I haven't. On the other hand, I think that is partly due to the fact I tend to fish deeper water as shallow water tends to produce alot of small quillbacks and even with a release tool I'd rather just fish deeper and not deal with the quillbacks and get some nice yellow eye.

When fishing the N end of Knight and related Islands, I've done better on the East side than the West side for black bass, but I generally fish the W side as it's nice to get out of the chop that can be pretty nasty on the E side. A couple weeks back I tried as spot I'd never fished before and in 60-70' of water we took 3 really big black bass and a couple of smaller ones. I've also taken them in 40' of water above a pinnacle that at it's shallowest is 120' deep.

I think Latouche is better for Halibut and not quite as good for rockfish, but I haven't fished that area enough to make an honest assessment of that, just looking at the charts. Look for areas that have large changes in depth and rocky bottom. Bring plenty of extra jigs as well. I find those areas fun to fish as you never know what you'll get. I was fishing for black bass on a little jig with my salmon rod and hooked to ling cod. Also don't be suprised to find the occasional halibut.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the help and reply. Im usually preoccupied trying to find halibut and maybe ling that I have completely overlooked bass and want those delicious guys to. Thats my favorite type of rig to use for bass, or my ultra lightweight halibut rod with a dart. Rip some lips and get them.

Latouche is better for halibut depending on which end you fish, and this year depending on if the bigger longliners are out in force sewing up the grounds(trying to not get political), but my fishing was worse with them around then with them not there.

I've fished all these areas you mentioned recently. The only area I've picked up blacks is out on the south side of Latouche. Fish the edges of the kelp 50~80 feet of water. You'll know you're there on a calm day [the only days I can get that far out there] when you're on the rollers coming off the Gulf.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenaiking19 View Post
    Long time reader of the forum and have searched the forums but not finding what I think Im looking for. There might be the problem, im thinking. haha. What type of areas should I be looking for in prince william to catch black rockfish? Maybe more general areas and structure to look for? East side of knight, manning rocks, apple gate? These good ideas or not? Maybe the Needle? etc. I spend most of my time around Latouche but any tips could help me. I understand further out is best and thats fine by me, I can go anywhere from my port of Whittier to the southend of Montague or north end no problem. It would be nice to get those and my halibut. I understand asking for this type of help is a very touchy subject. However, Id be willing to send some help of my own to you as well in the case of a PM if somebody helped me out that much.

Thanks and good luck fishing to everybody!

Thanks AK. Those rollers can get interesting around there for sure. I understand calm days, our boat is a 24 footer and calm is required to get out far. The other places I have been looking at on the charts were Porpoise Rocks, Seal rocks, Seal island, green island the northern end, smith islands, and so forth. Kind of all over the place but looking everywhere, i never know where I'll end up cause of wind and weather, so many spots are good.