Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys use for a light weight tripod for spotting scope for sheep hunting?

Default What do you guys use for a light weight tripod for spotting scope for sheep hunting?

I'm in need of one, and every where I look they are big and heavy.
    Any info would be great.

Slix 500, got to add words to meet the minimum requirment

I use a vortex high country, I think its called... Not the greatest head, but works for me. The flick lock style legs are the only way to go. It weighs 2lbs exactly. I have a 65mm Zeiss scope on it.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    I use a vortex high country, I think its called... Not the greatest head, but works for me. The flick lock style legs are the only way to go. It weighs 2lbs exactly. I have a 65mm Zeiss scope on it.
    I have the same tripod, I never saw the need for that much height. Eventually I will probably upgrade my scope and tripod, but it works for now. I think manfrotto has a reputation for quality, lightweight tripods.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Been using a Slik Sprint II with a Manfrotto ball head on it. Have to get both items from a camera shop, but spotting scopes and DSLR cameras use the same thread size. Looking at camera gear will open up your options considerably.

Yk

Have any of you guys used those gorilla pods? I've used one for my small spotting scope when moose hunting and they are kind of handy to wrap around a tree limb or the top of my pack or whatever. They dont weigh anything and are easy to stow in your pack. Not as stable as a real tripod for sure, so may not be the handiest on a sheep hunt when glassing long distances..

Nanomax 220 by Cullmann

There are several brands of carbon-fiber tripods that make an aluminum tripod the same size feel like a boat anchor; they usually require the head to be purchased separately.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I also have a Slik.....model 450g. Works for me.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have both the Cullman nano max and a vortex high country. I ended up adapting the vortex ball head to the lighter Cullman legs and I usually take both bottom halves. I have three QR adapter plates for the vortex head (camera, spotter and shooting V) and it is pretty sturdy built unlike the Cullman head which doesn't feel quite as robust or have a QR feature.

I like the look of the Velbon ultra maxi and the Slik Sprint mini II but my setup will get it done this year I think.

Be careful going lightweight on the tripod. A lightweight tripod can render your spotting scope completely useless in the wind.

I use an old CULLMAN

for just sheep hunting my main tripod is the lightest out there....none most time in sheep hunting situations trying to judge sheep I am in a situation where a stand is useless to me so dont be afraid to just use your pack. I do carry a light weight vortex for camp and other situations.. They are all prettey good now adays but gettin spendy. I have some really light short ones but in uneven rocky terrain the legs are too short to level it out.. I like stands with longer legs incase I am tucked in the alder or willow,then I can set them up to stand up height above the brush, Oh my best advice to you is to NEVER walk away from your scope setup on a tripod without laying in down first..there is no better feeling that gets you all warm and fuzzy inside then watching your swarovski fall over in the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Be careful going lightweight on the tripod. A lightweight tripod can render your spotting scope completely useless in the wind.
    I really don't think there is any tripod that can remain rock solid in a heavy wind. I know I don't even try, so I just lay the scope down on my pack, or wedge it in some rocks or the like.....

I've been using Velbon tripods for years. I don't normally go cheap on my gear, but this thing is only 20 bucks and it extends to full size. Flip levers on the legs, which are MUCH better than screw fittings when it gets cold. It doesn't have a ball head, but you can position it just about any way you want. I like full sized tripods because they give you the best versatility in mountainous terrain. And it is really light. I haven't weighed it, but I have carried it on MANY sheep hunts over the years. You can find them just about anywhere.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I choose the Slik mini mainly because of weight, but all of the ones that have been recommended on here are great. The Cullmann Nanomax 200/220, vortex high country, and the Velbon Maxi M with a ball head were all on my list when i purchased last year and are good solid lightweight tripods so you can not go wrong for the money. If money is not an issue check out the Gitzo carbon fiber line . I really wanted to get the Velbon Maxi with a ballhead because of the convenience and ease of use of the legs but, just just could not pull the trigger because of an extra weight about a pound if I remember. A good friend of mine and avid sheep hunter has a modified Cullman that weighs 21oz and he used a buddies Velbon last year and he thinks that the ease of use is worth the extra weight and is in the market for one this year. Best of luck...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I really don't think there is any tripod that can remain rock solid in a heavy wind. I know I don't even try, so I just lay the scope down on my pack, or wedge it in some rocks or the like.....
    No there isn't but there's a big difference between a 1 lb tripod and one that weighs three lbs.

A small mesh bag filled with rocks hung from the tripod will greatly improve the stability of all tripods. I have a collection, to included an expensive carbon fiber and still find myself packing my Slik Compact.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Ordered this one from Amazon and it should be here on Monday. It's going to be for my Swaro-65 and primarily for sheep hunting. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pro_II_GM.html

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    No there isn't but there's a big difference between a 1 lb tripod and one that weighs three lbs.
    What does it matter if they both shake in the wind? It's one thing to try and determine if sheep have horns, and yet another to determine full curl. And given the windy conditions that usually prevail in the high places, I'll go with the lightest tripod I have and do what I can with it. I too also have a very nice full sized Velbon, but there would be no way in hell I would lug that thing up a mountain for sheep....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast