Thread: Krsa says all er kenai kings are tributary spawners???

Default Krsa says all er kenai kings are tributary spawners???

I heard a radio interview with Ricky Gease this morning discussing the issue of spawning bed protection of Kenai Kings. He said that the ER Kings are not being harvested on their spawning grounds because they are tributary spawners.

Last I checked, there has historically been a significant component of the ER that are mainstem spawners - and I have been told that many of these were the big fish.

Genetic data, tagging studies, and weir counts suggest that the mainstem component of the early run is the weakest.

Did anyone else hear this interview? Am I nit-picking, or was he intentionally misleading, OR POSSIBLY DODGING THE ISSUE OF ER FISH BEING HARVESTED AS LR KINGS?

http://radiokenai.net/krsa-says-the-...nd-fishing-ok/

Question And he knows this how . . . ?

As the debate over King Salmon escapement continues, fingers have been pointed at sportsfishermen catching Kings on their spawning grounds.

We asked Ricky Gease, Executive Director of Kenai River Sportfishing Association, if this is done…

Gease: “Well on the early run there is no fishing on the spawning beds, because they’re tributary spawners, and the tributaries are closed for spawning, and for the most part on the early run, the spawning habitat is pristine in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge.”

We asked Gease about the late-run Kings, which is the run currently in progress…

Gease: “Well the whole river from Skilak Lake on down is a potential spawning area, so if you’re going to have, you know, the Department takes into account the number of fish that are harvested above the sonar counter and we have escapement goals and I think it’s appropriate to be fishing on fish as long as the harvest above the sonar counter doesn’t drop the number of fish below the minimum escapement goal.”

But how would Ricky know? What's his source of authority? Where are Ricky's references? Is Ricky a biologist?

Do the biologist's hired by KRSA support Ricky's assertions?

Those questions can be answered marcus, call them. Grow up.

In reality there is no late run or early run. There are tributary spawners and mainstem spawners. There is a genetic difference between them. There is no genetic difference between a mainstem spawner that comes in the river in early june and one that comes in the river in august.
    Yes, all the tributaries are closed to fishing a well as closures all season long above and below the mouths of those rivers.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    . . In reality there is no late run or early run. There are tributary spawners and mainstem spawners. There is a genetic difference between them. There is no genetic difference between a mainstem spawner that comes in the river in early june and one that comes in the river in august. . .

And you know this how?

References?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    And you know this how?

References?
    I personally talked about it with adf& g biologist, tim mckinnley. You should try it some time, you could learn a lot.

Btw, it was while I was giving him genetic samples of june kings.

Question

I personally talked about it with adf& g biologist, tim mckinnley. You should try it some time, you could learn a lot.

Btw, it was while I was giving him genetic samples of june kings.

Thanks, yukon, I've talked to Tim more than once in the past.

Actually, I was asking for specific references corroborating your previous claims, that's all.

Nice to hear you're supplying genetic samples . . I've done the same with char in area lakes.

Those questions can be answered marcus, call them. Grow up.

In reality there is no late run or early run. There are tributary spawners and mainstem spawners. There is a genetic difference between them. There is no genetic difference between a mainstem spawner that comes in the river in early june and one that comes in the river in august.
    Yes, all the tributaries are closed to fishing a well as closures all season long above and below the mouths of those rivers.

Very much agreed sir

I live in sterling and we have not been able to fish up here for king salmon for 3 years! 3 years It has also been several years since much of the area we use to fish has been closed. If you guys are so dang smart where are the kings?