Thread: Need some advice!

Default Need some advice!

I've got a moose float hunt on the Innoko in early september. I also would like to do some calling. I have a foxpro scorpion I use here (Texas) for yotes, etc. I've never hunted wolves, and never taken a bear. These are both high on my list. Lynx season doesn't open until October, so they're safe. I could use some good advice for calling wolves and bear. Any other methods or recommendations would be great too.
    Thanks,
    Stuart

I guess the best advice is do not get your hopes up to high on calling in anything. Alaska is not like the lower 48 predator hunting. You will have to make many sets before you call in an animal. Wolf are smarter than the average coyote and you will be more likely to call in a coyote than a wolf. I am not saying it cannot be done it is just alot harder than predator hunting in the lower 48. Coyote hunting in Texas is awesome though, that is where i first learned about calling predators.

The only time I would call a wolf on a moose hunt is if I saw one or after I got my moose or I'm moving to a new location. If moose hear a wolf calling will hide until they feel safe or leave the area.

I'd be awfully careful about predator calling in September - you're more likely to call in a brown bear than you are a wolf. I've not done it myself, but most stories involve a bear coming in very fast and very aggressively. Since you're a non-resident and can't take a brown bear, I don't know that it is something I would try. You might want to try howling for wolves, though. My brother howled one right into camp last year after his partner spotted one on a hillside ~1,000 yards away.

Since hunting moose with an electronic call is prohibited, I personally don't think I would bring one on a moose hunt. A wolf hide in September won't be a prime fur by far. If you practice bawling like an orphaned moose calf, that may attract bears, wolfs, and other predators for sure. I thought a non-resident could harvest a brown bear if they are with a registered guide, or with kinfolk. Stuart didn't say what kind of bear he was after, don't think he needs a guide or kin for black bear.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Would have to be a black bear, as I'm a non res. I've taken the moose sounds off of my foxpro, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Mcguyver. Thanks for that answer. That's one of the questions I had. I figured moose would shy away from a wolfe.
    Thanks for the good advice so far, and keep it coming!

Good luck on your hunt!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks Tearbear!

I don't call in September, seems like a death wish, particularly if taking a brown bear isn't an option.

Yeah it would be hard to explain the the troopers that you shot a brown bear after calling for predators.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Yeah it would be hard to explain the the troopers that you shot a brown bear after calling for predators.
    I'm sure they would let you try, through the bars of course...