6 15.79%
  • Ram Aviation

5 13.16%
  • Other (specify)

12 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kotzebue Air Charter Survey

Default Kotzebue Air Charter Survey

Okay, we have had some good input on Kotzebue air charters, so here is the survey. The intent is to reflect positive experiences we have had with the companies listed. So when you vote, you're voting for companies you would recommend to others. Go ahead and post your positive experiences with them, and if you had a negative experience please invite folks to discuss it with you via private message. Both kinds of information have value, but we have to keep this well clear of the lines of libel and slander.

I realize that this is probably not a complete list; feel free to check "Other" and let us know who it is.

Hope it helps someone!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Kotz air charter poll- any takers?

Thought I'd bump the Kotz air charter poll up again- nobody on it yet. Like waiting for a bear to show up on a bait station! How about it folks? Any takers?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Had bumps with Mavrik but I think that was out of their control. Big plane and can take lots of gear and people into the field in less time, leaving more time to hunt. Check my signature for the story of our hunt and the service provided by Mavrik.

I believe most negative experiences can be directly traced back to inexperienced clients! When I say inexperienced I don't mean they don't know how to hunt. Clients simply don't understand the complexity of Alaska's laws and regulations governing the Air Charter industry. By far the most common complaint is they did not spend time with me and fly around and spot game or even suggest how to hunt the area. Air Charters are not guides! They can't legally fly around and spot game for you. An Air Charter only responsibility is to flying you (safely) from point A - B

Default Agreed-

Quote Originally Posted by Robert johnson View Post
    I believe most negative experiences can be directly traced back to inexperienced clients! When I say inexperienced I don't mean they don't know how to hunt. Clients simply don't understand the complexity of Alaska's laws and regulations governing the Air Charter industry. By far the most common complaint is they did not spend time with me and fly around and spot game or even suggest how to hunt the area. Air Charters are not guides! They can't legally fly around and spot game for you. An Air Charter only responsibility is to flying you (safely) from point A - B
    Robert,

I agree- I think this one fits in the broader category of "unmet expectations". Often hunters expect certain things to happen that are not arranged in advance; mid-hunt meat hauls, river flyovers (for detecting hazards- not spotting game), alternate pickup points (float hunts) and date changes are but a few. All of these things should be discussed in advance AND PAID FOR if there are additional costs involved.

-Mike

Though I have been out of there once. I liked what Mavrik Aire did for us.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

anything on this front . I realize this is 5 years old but would like to hear from some guys that have been there and done that . I've been burned by more than one air service before and would prefer not to repeat that . Thanks Pm me if you prefer.

That list is very out of date. The players have changed.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

i'd like to see an update as well.....planning a 2013 hunt myself and we're still combing through transporters.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmodebwhntr View Post
    i'd like to see an update as well.....planning a 2013 hunt myself and we're still combing through transporters.
    Northwest Aviation (Jim Kincaid), Golden Eagle Outfitters (Jared Cummings), and Ram Aviation are three to consider. Quite a few on the forum have flown with these guys and can offer input. I flew with Jim in 2010 and will be flying with him again this year, he runs a very professional operation.

Good luck,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Northwest Aviation (Jim Kincaid), Golden Eagle Outfitters (Jared Cummings), and Ram Aviation are three to consider.
    The above 3 and Northern Air Trophy are the only ones still working out of Kotz, I believe.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i hear great things about golden eagle and Jared. Seems like a stand up guy and haven't heard a bad thing about him. i live in kotz and thats who i would want to fly me out.

My vote is for Jim Kincaid over at Northwest Avaition. Buck's not around anymore. In my opinion Northwest beats them all. I have flown with most and they beat the heck out of everyone I have used. Communication, Easy to schedule and nothing changes when you get there. They actually have and answer email That's a cut above several of them.

Anyone that says Bad Experiences with Air Charters is usually due to lack of experience has never flown with Buck when he is in one of his moods :-) I told him what my total weight was one year and he blew a gasket, told me I was a liar and that he had seen every trick in the book. We were weathered in so he took the time to weigh in every thing I had right down to the paddles. Come to find out I was 15 lbs less than what I had told him. He was even more pissed when he found out I wasn't B.S,ing him than he was when he thought I was. Of course there are tons of Buck stories out there "good and bad". I will say he is a great pilot and most look to see what Buck is going to do before they make there decision on weather.

I have been flying out of Kotzebue every year for around 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Okay, we have had some good input on Kotzebue air charters, so here is the survey. The intent is to reflect positive experiences we have had with the companies listed. So when you vote, you're voting for companies you would recommend to others. Go ahead and post your positive experiences with them, and if you had a negative experience please invite folks to discuss it with you via private message. Both kinds of information have value, but we have to keep this well clear of the lines of libel and slander.

I realize that this is probably not a complete list; feel free to check "Other" and let us know who it is.

Hope it helps someone!

-Mike

Well, on a personal basis, I know "Uncle Buck" Maxson, and Jim Kincaid, and Eric is a fellow Wolfer in Winter, though I dont Hunt with him, were aquainted.

Eric flys for the Parkservice now, and Haglund was bought by Era, sooooooooooooooooo, theres Northwestern Aviation with its current owner Jim Kinkaid, who Iam getting to know better as I charter him exclusivly now for interregional flying, and his other pilots, Jim & Scott are top notch, vastly experianced locals too.
    There Arctic air Guides, and Buck has been in business since the 60's, and Jim flew a great many years for the companys predacessor owner Jim Rood, so hes got the business down.

Id go with either one, though in Winter Jim Kincaid is a phone call and 30 minutes away.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

how would you guys rate RAM aviation??? i've actually had contact back from them. haven't found anything negative online, but i haven't searched really hard yet as this is the only option i've heard back from. Only other one i've considered is 40 Mile air but i believe they hunt a different unit (i could be wrong, i haven't been able to get in conact with them yet)

thank you on the other recommendations, i'll contact them very soon.

Default Bad list

Your list is very old!

Currently the following flight services are no longer around for many reasons.

Buck-Retired in 2007
    Mavrik lost his ticket back in 2005?
    Hageland no longer is in business as of 2008.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Serving Unit 23 with the finest equipment rentals-Float Hunts

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i hear great things about golden eagle and Jared. Seems like a stand up guy and haven't heard a bad thing about him. i live in kotz and thats who i would want to fly me out.
    Jared worked with Eric Seih flying his second plane and has purchased his 206 + 1 more. I will be working with Jared starting in 2012 providing his gear rentals (Rafts and Camps). When he was with Eric he did a fine job for my clients and I am sure he will continue to provide great service.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    907-259=4290

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Hageland no longer is in business as of 2008.
    This is not quite true. Hageland is still in business in Kotz, doing business under the Era Alaska name. They no longer do off airport work from Kotz under their name.
    However, anyone who watches the Flying Wild show knows Era has a Cessna 180 in Unalakleet that is available for bush work.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have flown with Jared. He's an incredible pilot. I'd fly with him again any day.

just throwing this out there...but, did anyone look at the date this was posted? of course things have changed over the past four years! you guys crack me up with some of the responses that are posted here. I guess not everyone is paying attention to the information that is in front of your eyes. and that is bottom line...cause I said so!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast