Thread: Want to get away from the highway traffic

Default Want to get away from the highway traffic

Recommendations for the best flight service in or around the Denali highway. The fiancé and I won party 482 tags and could make it a moose combo. The kid will also be coming along with us and I want to make it a good one. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I have hunted the north side of the Denali, lots of ATV action within 15 miles of the road, but also lots of caribou. I do not see much reason to spend several thousand dollars to harvest 2 caribou, when they roam right by the road, but if you are trying to avoid other hunters there may be some cub strips far south of the highway. There are probably some flight services in Healy that could help you.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

If you want to avoid other hunters.........I would suggest any state other than Alaska.

I would suggest hunting the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. Lot's of bou, no wheelers and not many folks. For fly in, there is Ray Atkins out of Cantwell, and Butch Gratious at the Gracious House. That being said, you should have no problem finding caribou around anywhere. Noticed the last week that they are finally bunching up. Seen a couple of groups of 20 that last 3 to 4 days, after only seeing single caribou all spring and summer. Good luck!
    Claude
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-27-2013 at 11:17. Reason: added links
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you want to avoid other hunters.........I would suggest any state other than Alaska.
    Come on now, ever hear of a pumpkin patch? That is what you call a rocky mountain deer hunt when everyone has to wear orange. Sure, unit 13 caribou has a reputation as being one of the most crowded hunts in the state.

You may be a little late to book a flight for this year. Like denalihunter said, the clearwater controlled use area didn't see a lot of traffic when we were there last september - especially if you are willing put I'm a few miles on foot.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I would suggest hunting the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. Lot's of bou, no wheelers and not many folks. For fly in, there is Ray Atkins out of Cantwell, and Butch Gratious at the Gracious House. That being said, you should have no problem finding caribou around anywhere. Noticed the last week that they are finally bunching up. Seen a couple of groups of 20 that last 3 to 4 days, after only seeing single caribou all spring and summer. Good luck!
    Claude
    Clearwater CUA is non-motorized to planes as well....as its non-motorized all the way around unless specified planes are ok...like Yanert River CUA says planes are ok or Delta CUA says the Charlie Boyd airstrip is ok....flying into the CUA to hunt is not legal.

Yes, I know that. Was just suggesting that he doesn't need a plane to get away from folks if he wants to walk from the highway. I probably should have been more clear on my statement. Thanks.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Come on now, ever hear of a pumpkin patch? That is what you call a rocky mountain deer hunt when everyone has to wear orange.
    Yea.....I was gonna say, maybe he hasn't hunted out of state in awhile.....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by that. It really isn't that hard to get away from most other hunters even in unit 13 during caribou season. We hunt it and average seeing 1 or 2 other hunting parties in a week long hunt.

If you want to get away from other hunters....lace'em up and get going. The highway and the trails get creamed but walk a mile and you might as well be on the moon.

No need to fly in there and the bou are there in numbers. Clearwater Creek CUA gets little action as well as the TLAD.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean by that. It really isn't that hard to get away from most other hunters even in unit 13 during caribou season. We hunt it and average seeing 1 or 2 other hunting parties in a week long hunt.
    I hear yah. you could go the entire hunting season in parts of unit 13 without seeing another soul if you work hard enough to do so. If a guy walked up a creek pulling a canoe, you wouldn't see hunters for the duration of your hunt. Two days of lining, followed by two days of relaxation, followed by no hunting pressure, followed by caribou floating in your canoe back to the road system........great hunt. I don't blame the op, road-rats get tiring. That isn't huting IMO, nor is the lake buzzards who swarm around the shores of lakes all day along with 20 other boats......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yea.....I was gonna say, maybe he hasn't hunted out of state in awhile.....???
    1969 was my last hunt out of Alaska.

Well I disagree. I find much of the area around the denali very crowded and would agree on a fly out for better success and a more enjoyable hunt. On fly out we see very few hunters but road based hunts can be very crowded with hunters in every direction and bullets flying. Lees flying service used to fly in to that area and are very convenient being south of glenallen. Copper valley air may be an option also out of glenallen. Good luck!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well I disagree. I find much of the area around the denali very crowded and would agree on a fly out for better success and a more enjoyable hunt. On fly out we see very few hunters but road based hunts can be very crowded with hunters in every direction and bullets flying. Lees flying service used to fly in to that area and are very convenient being south of glenallen. Copper valley air may be an option also out of glenallen. Good luck!
    I agree 100% Way to crowded in unit 13 as it is. Yes a fly out will likely see less people overall. But if you are willing to work for it you can be alone anywhere of our road system, just gotta work for it and think outside the box. But generally it can be done for less money than a fly out too. If you got the money I'd certainly fly out everytime...but I don't so I only fly out on select hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    If you got the money I'd certainly fly out everytime...but I don't so I only fly out on select hunts.
    Exactly.......and don't feel alone....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You might take a look in our Directory. We have lots of air charters listed there, some of which service this area.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay