Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the DAYS of "Plinking" almost HISTORY.......????

Default Are the DAYS of "Plinking" almost HISTORY.......????

Mommy, "What is plinking"...??? Go ask your dad. Daddy, "bobby's dad said they used to go "Plinking" when he was a kid, What is plinking, Daddy"..??

I don't know son go ask your gramps......"Grandpa, What is plinking"....??? Well it is kind'a like patching-out or laying rubber or squealing the tires. I is just one of those things we did back when tires were $18.99 each, and fuel for the GTO was 31.9 cents a gallon. Back in the old day people took cheap .22 LR ammo for granted, kind of the "RIGHT" of every American, so people would shoot ammo for fun, it was called "Plinking".

The New Government passed a law that plinking was illegal like burning rubber when the traffic light turned green. See the people will

Went plinking with my boys the past two weekends. It's alive and well and they had a wonderful time. The only grouse is I wish bricks of 22lr weren't like strategic reserves. Fortunately I'd stocked up on 22lr a few years back, but need to replenish one of these days. They did discover they really like shooting 38sp, so I should look into a 38/357 lever gun. On the other hand the 600rds I'd loaded up last year is gone, so time to do some more casting and reloading.

Funny how we remember how inexspensive certain items were to buy 20, 30, 40 years ago, yet we gloss over the fact we made a whole lot less money as well.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

We do a bunch of plinking with small caliber flintlocks. At 10 grains of powder per shot, that's 700 shots per pound of powder or about 4 cents a shot. Cast our own balls and cut our own patches (1300 patches from a $7 yard of fabric). Total cost under 5 cents per pop. No spray and pray shooting with 30 shots being a long afternoon, but at $1.50 per shooting session we're proud plinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Funny how we remember how inexspensive certain items were to buy 20, 30, 40 years ago, yet we gloss over the fact we made a whole lot less money as well.
    When I started my Apprenticeship (1965) pay was $2.08 hour. Four years later with Journeyman papers $3.12 hour.

As an Americans, do we assume that Plinking is our "Right".......????

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We do a bunch of plinking with small caliber flintlocks. At 10 grains of powder per shot, that's 700 shots per pound of powder or about 4 cents a shot. Cast our own balls and cut our own patches (1300 patches from a $7 yard of fabric). Total cost under 5 cents per pop. No spray and pray shooting with 30 shots being a long afternoon, but at $1.50 per shooting session we're proud plinkers.
    Pretty much what 38sp ammo runs, I use ~3.5gr powder which drops my powder cost by 1/3, but have that pesky primer. I cut down on my wadcutter molds so it drops a ~110 gr wadcutter which saves a bit on lead. They had a good time seeing what they could hit at extended range with both a snubbie and a scoped blackhawk.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    When I started my Apprenticeship (1965) pay was $2.08 hour. Four years later with Journeyman papers $3.12 hour.
    And today pay would be ~10 times as much?

I just "plink" with my air rifle for now.. Cheap fun and I can do it right from the porch.

We were out plinking in PWS two weeks ago. See pics under saltwater forum.
    Lots of air rifle plinking at the house as well. Kids plink with BB guns all the time.
    Nothings changed but the cost of ammo.
    BK

I engage in a more utilitarian form of plinking. Anytime a red squirrel breaches the perimeter, I go plinking; one plink one kill.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Message deleted due to not responding with quote.

As an Americans, do we assume that Plinking is our "Right".......????
    As long as I have a legal place where this can safely be done without endangering others.....Ammunition is available to me and not cost prohibitive.You bet your A?? It's my right.

That's the funnest kind of plinking IMHO........And those little camp robbing birds too

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    As long as I have a legal place where this can safely be done without endangering others.....Ammunition is available to me and not cost prohibitive.You bet your A?? It's my right.

When I moved to Alaska I loaded all my firearms (Long guns & Handguns) into the overhead compartment of a 747. That "WAS" my right in February 1970. Enjoy the "Rights" you have as you are loosing them at a shocking rate. One day it may be in the National Best Interest that plinking be banned as wanton waste of a National Resource.

I don't know why you have to make everything political. The government hasn't outlawed plinking. The government hasn't passed one single law outlawing any particular caliber or shooting sport, including 22LR and plinking. The few laws they have put forward to increase taxes on ammo have gone down in flames. Why do you have to stir things up with no facts to support any of it?

By the way, "peeling rubber" isn't illegal either. (Reckless Driving is illegal.) Go peel rubber on your driveway and no one will say boo to you.

Mommy, "What is plinking"...??? Go ask your dad. Daddy, "bobby's dad said they used to go "Plinking" when he was a kid, What is plinking, Daddy"..??

I don't know son go ask your gramps......"Grandpa, What is plinking"....??? Well it is kind'a like patching-out or laying rubber or squealing the tires. I is just one of those things we did back when tires were $18.99 each, and fuel for the GTO was 31.9 cents a gallon. Back in the old day people took cheap .22 LR ammo for granted, kind of the "RIGHT" of every American, so people would shoot ammo for fun, it was called "Plinking".

The New Government passed a law that plinking was illegal like burning rubber when the traffic light turned green. See the people will

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    so I should look into a 38/357 lever gun.
    If you can find one, look for the older Rossi M92SRC (saddle ring carbine) that Interarms imported back in the 70's 80's. The one without the stupid lawyer safety. I have one in 38/357 and it's an incredible gun. Wish it was a 44. I loaded similar 158 grn lead bullets with 3-5 grns powder, and the recoil won't even lift the barrel off the rifle rest. Tack driver. Smooth action. Quick follow up shots. The newer "Puma" rifles, nice as they are, just aren't the same to me. (Although, I see one in my future lol.)

Wish I had kept the Ruger Security Six that was my "matching pistol."

If you want, we'll meet at a range someday, so your kids can you shoot it and see how it fits. (BYOA).

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I don't know why you have to make everything political. The government hasn't outlawed plinking. The government hasn't passed one single law outlawing any particular caliber or shooting sport, including 22LR and plinking. The few laws they have put forward to increase taxes on ammo have gone down in flames. Why do you have to stir things up with no facts to support any of it?.
    Oh.....lookie, someone was not smart enough to figure out that it was a "Hypothetical" conversation based in about 2028.

I think it has slowed a bit but I also notice as I have aged I am not around area's where the youth are "plinking" like I did near as much. Hard to notice what's going on sometimes from a rocking chair view! No doubt price and availability factor in some, but I think the general mood about firearms has a larger long term effect. More limits on where one can go, stricter rules for youths to carry firearms etc and the worldwide addiction to iPod's, iPhone's etc., have captured the attention of our youths. Mothers are much more apt to let a youngster peck away on an I whatever, vs run out the back door with a gun and ammo... Not sure the government will have to do much to impact what is already in motion from emerging progressive technology.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Oh.....lookie, someone was not smart enough to figure out that it was a "Hypothetical" conversation based in about 2028.
    My question stands. We'll leave it at that.

I think you've just tapped into a whole new well of discussion. My son (11 yrs) is hopelessly addicted to electronics. No matter what alternative I offer him, he gets depressed when he has to do something that isn't "screen time." I took him to Rabbit Creek this morning with a 22 with new sights that he asked me to buy (same as the rifles at scout camp). He shot about 4 rounds, got frustrated he wasn't in the bullseye. Then asked to go home. I got him to shoot about 30 more rounds. Then we went over to the centerfire rifle range to zero my new scope. He wouldn't even watch. Said it was too loud. (He has child sized hearing and eye protection.) He went into the range office where I later found him watching cartoons. If it's not electronic, he's just not interested. It pains me greatly because he does so poorly in school; I have no idea what this guy is going to do for a living when he's older.

Meh...Sorry to rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think it has slowed a bit but I also notice as I have aged I am not around area's where the youth are "plinking" like I did near as much. Hard to notice what's going on sometimes from a rocking chair view! No doubt price and availability factor in some, but I think the general mood about firearms has a larger long term effect. More limits on where one can go, stricter rules for youths to carry firearms etc and the worldwide addiction to iPod's, iPhone's etc., have captured the attention of our youths. Mothers are much more apt to let a youngster peck away on an I whatever, vs run out the back door with a gun and ammo... Not sure the government will have to do much to impact what is already in motion from emerging progressive technology.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast