Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Any suggestions on companies to hit up for good insurance on the 22 ft Raider being built? It's do to be completed by November so this gives my wife some time to shop around, but if any one on here has good leads to speed things up please suggest them. BTW we are both going to be taking as many classes from the CG or CGA as needed, do these classes help reduce cost of insurance in any way or manner? Thank you, Scott

Check with the outfit you have your house and car through. We did that, and they put together a "package" for all of them that included our boat. Weird, but it worked out that by combining them and adding the boat, we got the whole works for only $10 more than we were paying for vehicles and house.

If you have USAA, have them give you a quote. They don't insure boats but sub it out to Progressive. The funny thing is, when I did an online quote for progressive it was ~$100yr more than when I got a quote through USAA. Also some insurance companies will only insure your boat if they also insure your cars/house.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Shop around for sure I could not believe the differences in cost from one company to the next between quotes. We use seaworthy which is owned by geico.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Charter lakes is another popular one with a great reputation for taking care of their clients.
    BK

In our recent boat insurance shopping we saw big differences between companies. We looked at some that specialized in marine insurance and also shopped the larger mainstream companies. Ended up with Safeco. In the process we ended up increasing the coverage on our home, keeping it the same on our cars, added an umbrella liability policy and added a brandnew boat - and broke even with what All$t@te had been charging for auto and home alone. It pays to shop around!

As the son-in-law of a marine surveyor who often works for insurance companies, it pays to read the fine print and get the coverages that will replace your boat and or engines. It is a sad nightmare when your boat sinks or is hit and after all your paying into insurance you get a check that won't even buy a new trailer. On the other hand I have heard about boats out of engine warranty and get their engines replaced multiple times over.

Read what you are buying.

Sobie2