Thread: Resurrection Kings

Default Resurrection Kings

We’ll be taking a sail boat out of Seward this weekend. The F&G fishing report says there are kings roaming around Resurrection Bay. Since we won’t be moving very fast (3-6 kts), I was thinking of trolling on our way out. However, I won’t have a down rigger and would have to troll using a diver, limiting the depth I can get the lure/bait down to. Any idea on how deep these kings tend to be? Is it worth the trouble of rigging something up?

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    We’ll be taking a sail boat out of Seward this weekend. The F&G fishing report says there are kings roaming around Resurrection Bay. Since we won’t be moving very fast (3-6 kts), I was thinking of trolling on our way out. However, I won’t have a down rigger and would have to troll using a diver, limiting the depth I can get the lure/bait down to. Any idea on how deep these kings tend to be? Is it worth the trouble of rigging something up?
    I have caught a slug of kings over the years in the bay and all of them were seemingly intermixed with the silvers. You will catch one every now and then with a typical silver set up.

Most often, I use a big chunk of cut herring on a slow spin with the DR set at around 100 feet if I really want just them as they often that deep, or even deeper.

If you can keep you speed closer to the 3 kt speed you indicated, you will probably catch a good number of fish if you can troll near structure.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    ...if you can troll near structure.
    Dunno sickum about kings in Rez, but structure has always been my key for kings whether on home waters or strange waters. But I'm going to broaden most folk's definition of "structure."

In addition to the usual rocks, reefs, kelp, etc, look at the depth where you're finding the dominant bait layer, say 90' or 120'. Now look at your nav chart and find the nearest spot where the water is exactly that deep. Wherever a bait layer gets close to bottom, that's usually a hot spot for kings. Halibut too, if the bottom type is right.

Thanks for the replies, but it is sounding like it might not be worth the effort to troll while traveling. Without a downrigger I'm not going to get a lure down anywhere near 100 feet. Also, since we are sailing, running along structure may not be optimum regarding wind and actually getting to where we are headed (Aialik Bay). We do plan to keep an eye out for silvers and intend to mooch if it looks good.

If you see a likely spot for kings, stop and mooch for them too. Going 100' is no prob. There's no question this time of year that we catch more kings mooching than trolling, simply because we like mooching.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If you see a likely spot for kings, stop and mooch for them too. Going 100' is no prob. There's no question this time of year that we catch more kings mooching than trolling, simply because we like mooching.
    +1 for BrownBear. We often find kings below the silvers. 100' or deeper. Worked this weekend.