Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez-PWS Blackies!!!

Default Valdez-PWS Blackies!!!

Well, Jake and I headed out to give the boat a shake down. Had the boat modified to run a Prop instead of the Jet. Headed out around Noon, ran to my Halibut stop. We fished about 4 or 5 hours and caught a 15lb But and had one good knock down, but he got off. After fishing we decided to check out a few Bear spots, we spotted a nice 6ft boar feeding on green grass. Jake put me to shore and I began to put on the stalk, after about 20 minutes I was close, wind was not ideal, just as I got ready to let My Benelli R-1 300 Win mag go, he stepped into the brush. I moved up and saw him. I gave him one in the shoulder, he started up that steep hill like his but was on fire. When he stopped I gave him another Barnes MRX in the boiler. He started to move to my right and I hit him again. This time he started rolling down the hill. Got back to the boat and had dinner and me and Jake skinned him out and bagged the meat. We were back at the Valdez Harbor before Midnight. In 12 hours we got Buts and Bears. Weather was great, boat ran great. Thanks Jake for humping him back to the boat. The Bears are out off to a great year.

Steve

Congrats!!!1
    Way to start the year, & nice bear!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thumbs up

Congrats guys, love it when those type of days come together

sounds like you had a blast, congrats

Nice bear. Congrats
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Who is smileing

I do not know if you all noticed this, but the one smiling in the picture pulled the trigger and the "not so happy face" is humping the bear hide. Why do you have to pick on bears that are still half asleep Steve? I do not think I have seen a bigger smile than yours Steve. Congrats bud. You had better produce a larger bear for me, with the huge guide fees you are charging me. I am glad you called me the day I was heading down there, I would of not been able to sleep the night before had you told me the night before I headed down to PWS. Congrats again brother, Rod

Congrats on the nice bear~!

Thanks for the pics.

Sure is nice when the "boys" get big enough to start doing the packing, eh? LOL

Default Skull and Hide.

Had my bear sealed here in Valdez yesterday. Hide over 6 ft and the skull was 18 2/16th. Did not have a rubbed stop on him. The guy that sealed it said that he had sealed several already and 75% were rubbed. Just a heads up to look them over good before you pull the trigger. Pulled the shrimp pots last night got about a gallon of fat spots. Whats for lunch today?? Grilled shrimp and and Halibut. OMG, I have died and gone to heaven. Valdez is great the weather is awsome. This is why I freeze to death for 6 months of the year, just for a few days like these. Oh yea, Got caught by the PWS tide monster again. My boat runs great with the prop but it does need a little water to float. LOL Spring at last. Maybe I will name my boat the HIGH AND DRY. The bad thing is I know better and still got had. Oh well, at least you know you don't have to wait long before it comes back in.

Steve

Steve

I think I saw you on the beach. We were camping near by and my wife commented on the boat high and dry on the beach. Plus your background looks familiar.

Default High N' Dry

That is what those alum Wolly's are for. Just say you planned it that way.
    SeaULater

Default Buts, Bears, Burgs and Shrimp!!!

The adventure continues, yesterday we spotted a bear on a narrow point. I put Rod a a beach not 200 yards away. As he put on the sneak by the water the bear walked right by him. He was looking into the woods and the bear walks out on the beach I put him on. It was great to watch. We tried to get to Long bay but it was Burged out. The chicken Halibut were biting good and we caught a limit. Shrimping is good as well. We did see a really nice boar, but it was not his first rodeo. As soon as I cut the engine he looked right at me and hauled but. Weather coming in tonight so we will see. I love Valdez and PWS.

Steve and Rod

Default Another Photo!!!

A better shot.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The adventure continues, yesterday we spotted a bear on a narrow point. I put Rod a a beach not 200 yards away. As he put on the sneak by the water the bear walked right by him. He was looking into the woods and the bear walks out on the beach I put him on. It was great to watch. We tried to get to Long bay but it was Burged out. The chicken Halibut were biting good and we caught a limit. Shrimping is good as well. We did see a really nice boar, but it was not his first rodeo. As soon as I cut the engine he looked right at me and hauled but. Weather coming in tonight so we will see. I love Valdez and PWS.

Steve and Rod
    They look like some prety big shrimp...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Sounds to me like a wonderful trip. Congrates on it all. J.

Default Weather started getting rough.

Well, we tried to go back out tonight. The wind was blowing straight down the arm. Time to throw some shrimp and steaks on the grill and wait for the weather to lay down. It was been a great trip and we are due for some weather. So we are going to camp hard as well. Then back at em. Got to try to let Rod even the score. Bears 3 Rod ZERO. I'm sure he is just working on his stalking skills. Watching someone try to get on a bear from the boat is awesome. I was cheering for him. More to come!!!!!! Ummm Shrimp..

Steve

Default Brown Bear PWS

Well, the rain finally quit after 2 days. We had not seen a bear since it started raining. The rain ended Thursday morning, we spotted a Brown bear eating along the tided line. Put on the stalk, got to within 69 yards and we hit him hard. Took us a few minutes to cross a deep stream. When we got to him he was on his back with his legs in the air. As soon as he heard us he roll up and looked like he wanted to eat us. I about crapped my pants and give him another 20 bucks worth of 300 win mag rounds. WOW, they can soak up the lead. What a week, only negative thing is we had 2 of our shrimp pots stole. I hope who ever got those shrimp chokes on them. Some people.

Steve

Default nice

Great pictures and great bears. I was also hit by the tide monster but it was in Homer. It's crazy how fast the tide moves on the big tide days. Just a quick picture of our camp spot and my boat high and dry. Not the first time it has happened and sure it's not the last. The tide was still moving out when the picture was taken, it went out another 15 feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Trips Stats

Well, we had a great trip. Saw 27 Black bears, 1 brown bear, caught 11lbs of shrimp tails. 12 Halibut largest was around 25 lbs. Got one black bear and a brown bear. Had a chance at another nice black bear. All in all a great trip. Had 2 shrimp pots taken. The bears seem to be high still. Next week should be great hunting for those that can get out. Put 643 miles on the Ole HIGH & DRY. Running the prop my fuel burn was 4 to 5 GPH at 4500 RPM. The boat will haul more than I can put in it. Even did a little ice breaking LOL.

Steve

Default Bear Meat Ideas??

Okay guys, got 60 lbs of black bear meat. Give me some ideas on how to prepare it. Please share your best recipes.

Thanks Steve

Default I like mine ground

into hamberger, breakfast sausage, and summer sausage. Took some to Mat Valley Meats in Wasilla and is done already, less than a week. I know you are in North Pole though. But if i get my bear maybe I will also get hot dogs and polish sausage, umm bratworsts. He is one of the few places that will fully process bear. We seem to eat more of the meat this way. Dried out steak get old quick, I like my game real pink. Plus easy to do other meals with it. I don't eat roasts. Hear they are good though. Keep the prime cuts and grind the rest into whatever you can have done. By the way you better give your Beneli a break, you might wear that thing out! Good shootin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast