Thread: Going to Live a Dream.

Default Going to Live a Dream.

I am excited for my first trip to Alaska. It has been a dream of mine to hunt the Brooks range. Here I go for Dall Sheep/Grizzly combo. This is truly unbelieveable to think I am doing something I dreamed about for 30 years! August 7th my flight from New Jersey puts me in Fairbanks at 4:30pm. Off to Coldfoot on the 8th and hopefully into the Brooks on the same day. Lets hope for good weather to travel in and good luck and stay safe to everyone searching for that elusive Dall ram of the north! JJ

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyjohn View Post
    I am excited for my first trip to Alaska. It has been a dream of mine to hunt the Brooks range. Here I go for Dall Sheep/Grizzly combo. This is truly unbelieveable to think I am doing something I dreamed about for 30 years! August 7th my flight from New Jersey puts me in Fairbanks at 4:30pm. Off to Coldfoot on the 8th and hopefully into the Brooks on the same day. Lets hope for good weather to travel in and good luck and stay safe to everyone searching for that elusive Dall ram of the north! JJ
    Best of luck to ya John. I know you're stoked. My same exact dream hunt is a year away and I am already losing sleep. Plz take lots of pics and report back after you drop the hammer on a big set of screws. Enjoy every minute and travel safe!!!! Again, best of luck, Dan

just what we need another east coaster...lol Alaska is not big enough.. Being from Phila I can say that.. John enjoy every minute,in the world of hunting to me not much comes close.. I lived my dream here as well..

Glad to see you're taking the bull by the horns and making it happen. Over the years I can't tell you the hundreds of people that I've talked to that say......I wish I could do this, I wish I could do that........year after year, after year.....

Good Luck....!!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

John, tried to send u a PM. Not enough posts yet. What outfitter are u hunting with??

Good luck,, I hear they live in the same places..........

A few old hunts to get you in the mood. Good Luck, fair weather and heavy packs for all.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...unt?highlight=

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...bou?highlight=
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've heard many people say "I wish I could...." I say just do it. You only live once. Save some money, $100 bucks a month is 1200 a year. You gotta start somewhere. 1200 a year in a couple years will buy a plane ride into some amazing country....

Keep us posted on the hunt when you get back and good luck... be safe...

Good to hear your going to hunt in the great state of AK! The Brooks are great! I have had the privilege to hunt in the Brooks a couple of times .cannot wait till next time! Who you hunting with?

I am excited for my first trip to Alaska. It has been a dream of mine to hunt the Brooks range. Here I go for Dall Sheep/Grizzly combo.
    Other than what I said above, if you've never hunted sheep before, you need to prepare yourself mentally as well. Much of the time, if you've prepared yourself physically, you will need a strong will to push yourself harder. Unless you have some kind of injury, you're body will handle it. It's your will power that may be tested. If you know this going in, it can be a huge bonus for you. Many may see a ram a few ridges over and say no way, but if you have the time and determination, it could very well be the difference between being successful and going home empty handed. Don't let anybody kid you.....regardless of how good of shape you're in, the mental part of a hunt like this can play a major role.

I also want to add that even if you don't kill a ram, hopefully, just the hunt.....being up there with them, will be more than enough of an experience to make you glad you came. I know that when you put the kind of money out to do something like this, it can be a little daunting. But try not to get so caught up with feeling you "have to" kill something. Take time to realize exactly what you are doing, and do your best to take it ALL in. You'll be glad you did...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Good luck. I remember my 1st Alaskan hunt - Dall sheep. Most rewarding of all my Alaskan hunts.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Make sure you pack you camera and use it often. Without pix, it's just another hunting (or fishing) story.

Most of all enjoy yourself and be safe.

When you get back we expect a detailed story with pix.

Have a great time and welcome to Alaska.

As Formerguide said. get in shape. Start climbing hills, make sure your boots are well broken in too. I am getting ready for a elk hunt right now. 1-2 miles on the off days, 4-5 miles on the others, one day of rest. Breaking in a new pair of Lowas. Just found the perfect sock combination after four tries out. Your feet are the most important item you have. Without them, you're done. If you can, do the training with a min. of a 30 pound pack to start.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

As 4mer stated, Not if but, more like just plan on a definite mental challenge. Hot and sunny to cold blowing rain and snow a blink of an eye later. By far the hardest hunt of my life, but wish I could do it again and again. The Brooks is Heaven enjoy it and soak it in.