Thread: AIRE's new heavier raft material.

Default AIRE's new heavier raft material.

Stopped by Alaska Raft & Kayak the other day to rent an IK & SUP for a family picnic. (Great service as usual!) While there, I noticed both a raft and a cataraft in the showroom that were both ALL GRAY in color, instead of the normal green/gray, blue/gray, red/gray, etc. When I asked about it, they told me that AIRE was starting to make some boats entirely out of their heavier 43oz PVC material, that is normally used only in high abrasion areas, such as the bottom & top of the tubes. The multi-colored (green, blue, red, etc) sides are made from a slightly lighter 35oz PVC material. They said that while having 43oz sides will add a few pounds to the total weight, it will definitely make an already tough boat, even tougher.

Looks like a nice option for those who want even more puncture protection. And, as long as you like GRAY. Which, being an old Navy man, I actually do.

Haze gray and underway, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Speaking of other raft materials in the AIRE line-up . . . . . (at least I was)

I noticed that some of AIRE's catarafts (Lion, Leopard, Jaguarundi, Ocelot, Wildcat) and almost all of their rafts,
    include the following statement:

"For extra durability this model is available constructed with Urethane fabric. Please call for pricing."

Anyone have any information about what kind of Urethane fabric they use: weight/denier/colors/costs, etc?

Or anyone have experience using an all-Urethane (inside bladder and outside shell) AIRE raft or cataraft?

I know that PVC boats have given yeoman service for many years. But, "Better is the enemy of good enough."

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Dave being an old NAVY man-- You should know ALL the "SEAL" boats are made of urethane. I personally have a 20 year old 40# 10' one that has been living outside here in Alaska, and has has big spruce trees blown over her -- and still holds air tight and cleans up as new!
    Goo

Thanx Goo. I know that SOTAR makes great boats out of Urethane, and trust me, they are on my short list.
    I also noticed that SOTAR started using PVC again this year, with the intro of their BMX and ATV packraft/IK's.
    I even started a thread, asking about them. But, I didn't get much response. Probably because they're so new.
    Still, I'd appreciate it, if you could add some information for those SOTAR products over there:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ts)?highlight=

But on this thread, I'd specifically like to hear about AIRE products made of either all-43oz PVC outer shells, or Urethane outer shells.

Thanx, Dave.

PS - Back when I was in the Fleet, the SEALS used a lot of Zodiacs, which were made of hypalon. But, I've been ashore for awhile.

(edited)
    Zodiacs are great boats- That is what we used in Antarctica with our sport boats and worked well, but weighed 300+ lbs.
    Urethane is much lighter and stronger. Look at "Wing inflatables" and see what the NAVY uses now.
    Goo
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-22-2013 at 11:27.

Urethane = very slippery. You might need to add patches to make walking around and getting on and off easier. And grey is not the most visible tube color on a glacial river!

You are right, that is why so many companies are putting it on the raft bottoms, to not stick on rocks. (edited) Trust me , urethane is the best!! I have used and sold them all- this is my favorite so far-
    Goo
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-22-2013 at 11:26.