Thread: CB radio SWR?

Default CB radio SWR?

Hopefully someone here runs a CB like mine in their rig and is familiar with setting them up. I picked up a Cobra 29 LX radio and ran through the calibration. It settled pretty low @ 1.2 or so according to the built in SWR meter which should be good. When I initially key the mic the SWR meter shoots up past three then settles almost immediately to 1.2. My assumption is that is normal but I would hate to tear up the new radio if I am wrong!

No that is not normal, in fact I don't remember seeing a swr meter do that.
    Did you first put the meter on calibration and calibrate the meter before switching to read the swr.
    I know you said you ran through the calibration. I just want to know how you did it.

Yeah. I am thinking I didn't have enough space around the rig to avoid interference when I was trying to calibrate. It was late and the wife is out of town leaving me watching kids so I couldn't take it somewhere open. Keying the mic on the drive to work this morning and it is sitting at about 2.3 with no erratic jump. I will take it to an open area and re-calibrate then trim the antenna if needed.