Thread: Have the reds made it past Skilak Lake?

Default Have the reds made it past Skilak Lake?

Anyone been having luck on the upper Kenai? Where are the reds from that huge slug a while back? Are they still in middle river? Any help is appreciated. Heading down sat and trying to decide where the action will be.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSweetPete View Post
    Anyone been having luck on the upper Kenai? Where are the reds from that huge slug a while back? Are they still in middle river? Any help is appreciated. Heading down sat and trying to decide where the action will be.
    Big slug should pretty much be in the lake by now, I don't think above or below will be very good this weekend, in addition the commercial guys have the inlet pretty cleaned out right now so the lower river has been DEAD.

I talked to my friend who runs drift boats out of cooper landing last night and he said its picking up and it's worth fishing now. I am heading up there today.

I read on AOJ that fish are being caught at the confluence. Worth a scout I think.

I saw Reds being caught at the mouth of Russian River, That was 2 days ago. Should only get better everyday now.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Big slug should pretty much be in the lake by now, I don't think above or below will be very good this weekend, in addition the commercial guys have the inlet pretty cleaned out right now so the lower river has been DEAD.
    There's just not a lot of fish out there right now. It's not because the commercial guys have killed them all, as the AOJ report may suggest.

~ATTENTION ALL DIPNETTERS AND KENAI SPORT FISHERS~
    The KENAI RIVER KING SALMON FISHERY has been issued an EMERGENCY ORDER to restrict the fishery to CATCH and RELEASE beginning at 12:01AM THURSDAY.The KASILOF & KENAI DISTRICT COMMERCIAL BEACH SITE NETS have just been issued an EMERGENCY ORDER to restrict them to a SINGLE 12 Hour fishing period PER WEEK.
    BOTTOM LINE: The DRIFT FLEET is not impacted by this restriction so they will be fishing those nets right out from the mouth of the river to kill everything within 40 miles of the river. Do not expect ANY fish to be entering the river. Not for Dippers and definitely not for sportfishers. The river is completely EMPTY of sockeye salmon from the mouth to above Moose River and Bings will be drying up very quickly too.
    ***KENAI BEACH CLOSURES DURING HIGH TIDES: The next THREE nights through THURSDAY will have super tides covering much of the north and south beaches where parking and camping occurs. For public safety the City of Kenai will require dippers that were planning to camp on the beach during those days to relocate to another suitable location until the tides recede each day.
    READ THIS PENINSULA CLARION NEWS ARTICLE for the details.
    3PM Wednesday: Boats at Kenai Dock waiting to come out at low tide have ZERO FISH FOR ALL DAY DIPPING~!!!!!!
    9:30PM Wednesday Night: 100 Dipper Boats on the Kenai this evening and NO ONE catching any fish. 10 boats pulling out at the dock at 9:30PM with half catching ZERO FISH and the other half with ONE OR TWO in the box. This will be the WORST DIPNET HARVEST SINCE 2001 on a "record run" year. The sportfish catch this year will be the LOWEST since 2001 also. On a "record run" year. I estimate the dippers have taken less than 100,000 fish when last year they took (reported) 600,000. And the Sporties have not caught 100,000 this year when last year they pushed near the 400,000 fish mark. A very BROKEN SYSTEM. Further details will be coming today.

Are we really blaming the drifters for killing everything within 40 miles of the River? Does everyone realize that the Kenai has made minimum Sockeye escapement with more fish on the way?

also check the counter for the russian river late run. looks like the front end of the late run is starting to trickle in. I would guess by next weekend fishing should start to pick up
    Date
    Count
    Cumulative
    Cumulative
    Notes for

Jul-25 - 5,276 5,126
    Jul-24 827 5,276 3,667 Water level 7 5/8"
    Jul-23 1,285 4,449 3,014 Water level 7 3/4"
    Jul-22 461 3,164 2,669 Water level 7 3/4"
    Jul-21 272 2,703 2,261 Water level 8"
    Jul-20 306 2,431 1,766 Water level 8"
    Jul-19 443 2,125 1,324 Water level 8 1/4"
    Jul-18 413 1,682 816 Water level 8 3/8"
    Jul-17 396 1,269 397 Water level 8 3/8"
    Jul-16 694 873 209 Water level 8 5/8"
    Jul-15 179 179 43 Water level 8 3/4"; First day of counts for the Late-run

Been fishing above bing's, lots of people and very slow fishing. It will only get slower, not much coming up river behind that big slug. Be prepared to be disappointed if fishing between bing's and skilak this weekend.

Am hoping it picks up too - kind of depends on what that slug did in skilac - hopin they cruised on through. Going to float the upper on Saturday.

Just got back. It was slow fishing for me, but they are in there. I was seeing lots of reds, but they were off the bite. Not sure why, maybe the sunny weather has them a little spooky. A lot of the ones being caught still had good color though. Dolly fishing was okay. Most of the fish are downstream of the Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Just got back. It was slow fishing for me, but they are in there. I was seeing lots of reds, but they were off the bite. Not sure why, maybe the sunny weather has them a little spooky. A lot of the ones being caught still had good color though. Dolly fishing was okay. Most of the fish are downstream of the Russian.
    I bet them reds were off the bite, maybe you needed a different color yarn?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Dippers were pulling fish at the Kenai bridge early Thursday AM. Decent shot of fish went through lower river.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

No, they don't. As I have been out on the past 4 openers, and it sickens me to say most dip netters caught more fish than prolly the average commercial boat, each day I was out. Man..it sickens me to see people from our own state still don't get it..good day

Fishing was fair to good below the confluence yesterday. Limit in an hour. Steady waves of fish and most bright.

The word is definitely out! Just drove through and fishermen everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Man..it sickens me to see people from our own state still don't get it..good day
    What is sickening about my comment? I didn't say I was angry, I didn't say anyone else should be either, perhaps you shouldn't get so defensive, or perhaps its for good reason?

I know several commercial fishing familys personally and I'm glad they had a good year after what happened to them last year.

Someone asked how the fishing will be and I gave them my estimation based on common local knowledge.