Thread: Are Jack Kings still legal to retain?

Default Are Jack Kings still legal to retain?

I caught a Jack king at willow creek today, wasn't sure if I was allowed to keep it with the king season being closed so I let it go. It got me thinking after I released it, was I allowed to keep it? Since it was a jack it wouldn't be able to spawn, and basically just going up to die.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

As long as its under 20" you can still keep 10 per day

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    As long as its under 20" you can still keep 10 per day
    NO!!!!! You cannot keep any king salmon no matter what the size is. King season is over no matter what size they are. If you follow his advice you will get a ticket. Call state troopers or ADF&G to confirm.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    NO!!!!! You cannot keep any king salmon no matter what the size is. King season is over no matter what size they are. If you follow his advice you will get a ticket. Call state troopers or ADF&G to confirm.
    There is a strict difference between what the regs call a Jack and a King, how ever I agree would be best to call ADFG to make sure. There is a reason you do not have to record Jacks but you do Kings.

A king is a king no matter what size it is. King season is over. Don't keep any unless you are looking for a ticket.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

It's pretty clear in most areas. For example under general season and limits in Unit 1 (page 24), Unit 3 (page 28), Unit 4 (page 29) Unit 5 (page 31) all say the same thing:

King salmon:
    20" or longer (January 1 -July 13)
    Less than 20" (January 1 -July 13)

A king is a king, a jack is a king. Sixth bullet on page 28 * This section is open to fishing for all species (except king salmon) July 14-December 31.

Don't confuse a larger bag limit for jacks with being a "different" fish. You need a king stamp for jacks, so you follow the regulations pertaining to kings. As stated call troopers or ADF&G, I already have.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    It's pretty clear in most areas. For example under general season and limits in Unit 1 (page 24), Unit 3 (page 28), Unit 4 (page 29) Unit 5 (page 31) all say the same thing:

King salmon:
    20" or longer (January 1 -July 13)
    Less than 20" (January 1 -July 13)

A king is a king, a jack is a king. Sixth bullet on page 28 * This section is open to fishing for all species (except king salmon) July 14-December 31.

Don't confuse a larger bag limit for jacks with being a "different" fish. You need a king stamp for jacks, so you follow the regulations pertaining to kings. As stated call troopers or ADF&G, I already have.
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.