Thread: Meat processing without additional animal products

Default Meat processing without additional animal products

I am wondering what possibilities I have for processing caribou into something besides ground burger, without adding additional animal products such as suet, pork, beef, etc. For instance, is it possible to make things like sausages, pepperoni, or liverwurst, without adding other animal products? Thanks!

We used to do summer sausage and salami with little to no extra fat added that was delicious but it sounds like your trying to create fatty "store bought style" products with game meat which doesn't work with lean game meat. If using solid fat is the problem olive oil does a wonderful job and should be tried.

A great alternative to pork added pepperoni sticks is to make dehydrated meat sticks. We use a stainless steel LEM dehydrator, which heats close to 160f, a jerky gun and jerky spice kit. Grind the meat while adding the spice and cure. Follow the direction and let sit for something like 24hrs, then load in the jerky gun using a round nozzle and squeeze onto racks. Dehydrate for about 4-5hrs on the high setting and POW great moose or caribou (with no added fat) meat sticks. It takes a few batches to get the technique down. We have made dozens of batches. Each batch is ten lbs of raw meat.

I've done both, I started with just moose or caribou for both patty and link sausages. They are good, but they are often dry. I run 25 percent ground pork shoulder in my sausage, my burger stays straight as I usually use it for burritos, nachos, chili etc. and works better without extra fat.

That said, straight links are completley edible, just make sure you have some organic ketchup nearby.

Great point akjeff! When we make jerky sticks with caribou no fat is added and those caulk/jerky guns are fast and easy. We stick ours in the oven at low heat with the door cracked and it does a great job. You will want to play around with how finely you grind the meat and get it just the way you like it.

Great, thanks for the jerky sticks idea! It looks like jerky guns are pretty cheep, I'll be trying it out! I know that some game products use grain in the processing too. Not sure though what. If any other ideas come up, please let me know!

if you want larger sticks...

buy the collagen casing and stuff them using your Jerky gun. hang in smoker, or put in the dehydrator.

17 or 19 mm works best

Chris

We have been grinding moose with store bought bacon for a couple years now. Gonna back off some. It works great for actual burgers on a bun, but not so good for lasgna or spaghetti sauce and so forth.

Usually run nine pounds of moose through the grinder with one pound of bacon. I think this year we are just going to grind (most of) the burger up straight and get it in the freezer, then try different techniques as we thaw each package.

I will keep an eye on this thread. We had talked about trying olive oil, but we weren't sure if we could get it to bind or how well it would hold up in the freezer.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I make all of my own sausage in bulk and casing.. and often DO NOT add any other meats to them. I will save the sweet fats off the animal.. like the fat off the kidneys and intestins.. it drys like popcorn and grinds up nicely.. as a NOTE though.. brats and links will be considerably dryer with out a 30% fat content..

in the Pantry forum there are several threads with awesome recipes and how to dos with photos.. heres One..

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Sausage-Recipe
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    If using solid fat is the problem olive oil does a wonderful job and should be tried.
    Agreed....we have been using olive oil in place of any other kind of fat for years now. We freeze the burger plain, and then add the olive oil after thawing. It binds up burger quite well.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Meat processing without additional animal products

We save all fat from our moose, blacktail,Bou,sheep,and goat. (Marrow when we can). We freeze the fat we don't use for sausage or burger and add it to salmon or halibut through the grinder. Makes amazing fish burgers and we don't tell anyone our meat only contains game fat and they can't even tell the difference.