Thread: Grumman Canoe parts

Default Grumman Canoe parts

I have a grumman 19 ft. square stern that spent too much time on it's side under a snow load. The cross pieces/spreader bars, whatever you call them have bent under the load. The fore and aft bars I can probably live with. Middle bar should be replaced. It could be repaired by welding but would prefer a replacement.
    Are parts available?
    Thanks
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

try the factory they are still made , but if you can live with it bend it back , reinforce it an call it A day , add a little metal to it fpr stringth
    SID

If nothing esle, I'm pretty sure any of these aircraft mechanic/A&P?sheet metal guys at any of the general aviation airports (Merril, Lake Hood, Wasilla, etc) can fab a repair part (won't look factory but will work, using some scrap aluminum and a brake shear/press.

Are you talking about the thwarts or the ribs? Marathon makes the parts, the rivet pattern on the ribs has changed, which is unfortunate.

Thanks guys. I'll check with Marathon for new parts, and see if I can rig something to repair the center cross piece for this year.............it's not a rib so I guess it's a thwart.

making the repair your self an just reenforce what you have now will not look great but it will support the canoe as that is a soft part I bent the one on mine a few times when I carry it very far SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    making the repair your self an just reenforce what you have now will not look great but it will support the canoe as that is a soft part I bent the one on mine a few times when I carry it very far SID
    Ended up fixing it myself. I am an aircraft mechanic, so have access to sheet metal and rivets, as well as tools. Turned out pretty good. May buy a cross piece still. That will wait for next year.
    Thanks for the help!!

lets see your work, a photo would br great but thanks for the up date SID

lets see your work, a photo would be great but thanks for the up date SID
    Darn, I was afraid you'd ask that................haha.

Here is a pic of the whole canoe and motor:

Most of the repairs were on the seat and in the seat area:

The seat and center cross piece were both removed.I repaired one side of the seat with a large patch. Repaired the support under the seat and reattached it to the center seam of the canoe, with sealant in the holes the screws went in. I also had to repair the top of the seat support piece.
    The center cross piece was removed and straightened in a press. The one end was reenforced with 50 thou aluminum on top and bottom and screws/nuts.
    The fore and aft cross pieces were straightened in place with bar clamps and 2x4s.
    The whole canoe got a good pressure washing and scrubbing inside and out to removed dirt and sooty deposits. Don't know where the soot came from.
    Hopefully the pics show most of what I described.
    I'm sure the cross pieces are still weakened, but if I can baby them enough for this season, they should last.

looks good to me, you can run a 15 HP 2 cycle on it with out any problems, except the prop sticks down a lot an you will need 1 1/2 tp 2 FT of water
    to travel where you work with metal you should make a lift it is a must if you run shallow streams there are a few in Fairbanks [ I IHINK ]
    look at it an make one [ out of production have to copy what they have ] if you were in Anchorage I would let you look at mine an go from there
    SID PS you can raise the transom up 4 1/2 inches an it will help a lot, I did it an run for 5 years that way ,
    the one thing you do need to do is get & ENG that don't have a sheer pin in the prop [ it will break at the time you need it the most ] see back wright up's on it on this forum see you on the river

Had a 15 on it for years. It died after over 20 years. Have seen lifts on others. Good idea to make one. I'll look in to that.

I am running 30 + years on my 15 but still going strong got a new 10 HP 4 CYCLE have not tried it yet but this fall I thinking
    [ hope hope ] SID

I am running 30 + years on my 15 but still going strong got a new 10 HP 4 CYCLE have not tried it yet but this fall I thinking
    [ hope hope ] SID
    How's the weight on the 10 4-stroke. A quiet motor with better mileage would be sweet. A guy could almost motor right up to the game..........haha!

81.5 lbs for 9.8 HP 4 cycle TOHATSU OR NISSAW ARE ABOUT THE CHEEPEST & LIGHTEST MARINER on this FORUN can supply the all that information on HP an weight , one of the new box stores that sell's Boat stuff in Anchorage has a propain outboard that looks good
    SID