Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Crew? Lets hear it!

Default Ranger Crew? Lets hear it!

So what's the story on these rigs? Good? Bad? Can they perform in the though environments going through the nasty?

A friend of mine picked one up last year.... wheelbase is too long for the ground clearance IMHO. High centers easily and is a heavy pig to unstick. The ultimate short of a jeep on a good trail without many significant obstacles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I considered one but ultimately think I will go with a 6x6 and install a removable bench in the back to haul the family.

This is a cutom built by a US military Person overseas, to do CAMP things???, Why, because he can I quess. POLARIS RANGER 6X6 CREW CUSTOM.jpg

Buy a Suzuki Samurai. Almost narrower than a Ranger and street legal too!! Haha -

Seriously - for me, even though I've considered them over the years, the Rangers are just too darn huge. But if I was going to get one, it would be the 6x6.

The MacGyver in me wants to build a custom 6x6 Side-by-side that's 52" wide (almost like a trail RZR) and shorter wheel base too like the ones from 1998, with shaft drive, independent suspension, and a 850XP motor. Basically, combining an 850 XP Sportsman, a trail RZR, and a Big Boss. Sounds like fun!!!

Anything with 4 wheels is a toy.... Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Agree 100%

A 6x6 ranger plus wheeler=MUCHO Betta

A buddy in Valdez has one with 30's on it. It's amazing where he can go. Tight trails and U turns are an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    So what's the story on these rigs? Good? Bad? Can they perform in the though environments going through the nasty?
    This is one of those things that's completely in the eye of the beholder, having ridden and driven several they're impressive for as large as they are. I did take the plunge and recently bought a new one. High center issues are easily corrected by a slight lift and bigger tires. However they are fairly impressive all things considered stock. For me, I have a family so when we want to throw our camping/fishing gear in and go....we need more seating. Some guys do make seating in a 6x but then your giving up valuable storage space in the vehicle. Each vehicle has a niche, serves a particular buyer well, find yours and go from there. Objectively, a crew is a nice mash up of the valuable qualities each vehicle possesses

Yeah, I realize that I will sacrifice some performance over a 6x6 ranger, but the ease of throwing the whole family in one rig seems fun to me. A ranger crew and a 6x6 sportsman 800 sounds like a good combo

Anyone else?

The folks who are giving the thumbs down, do you have any personal experience with the crew in a back-country/off-trail setting? I'm getting positive feedback on another site with some AK crew owners. Like ANYTHING, I'm going to give up something...I just gotta figure out what I want to give up...

Good thread hunt you must be reading my mind..lol. I thought I had my situation worked out by having a 4 wheeler for myself and the wife has a 4 wheel ranger reg cab for herself and my two kids. But now its all changed with a new baby on the way and I have been seriously considering the crew. They do look BIG and I haven't got a chance to ride in one but I am real curious as to how good they can maneuver. Like you though I was looking for one rig for the whole family.

I have one and love it can take the family in one machine took it caribou hunting work great got the camp two caribou with two people in fifty miles and out it can haul alot of stuff
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Don't kid yourself...they're ALL toys!

You'll get it where ever the other SxS rigs go... i have a 6x and a 4 seater...your primary limitation will be what's upstairs...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Good thread hunt you must be reading my mind..lol. I thought I had my situation worked out by having a 4 wheeler for myself and the wife has a 4 wheel ranger reg cab for herself and my two kids. But now its all changed with a new baby on the way and I have been seriously considering the crew. They do look BIG and I haven't got a chance to ride in one but I am real curious as to how good they can maneuver. Like you though I was looking for one rig for the whole family.

If you're in the Valley I'd be open to a demo . They don't corner all that well from a dead stop simply due to the wheel base but have the power to be spun around with throwing the hammer down on the throttle. I'm in the same boat, family of four, loves the outdoors, and need an all purpose rig to fit the bill....and I think this will end up doing it. Anyone I've known to have a Crew hasn't ever disliked it so much to exchange it for something else. They do what they do well, it's for some not for others. They are a comfortable ride. Could easily fit 4 adults and two kids.....can haul a ton....if you go in with a vision thinking its going to be a four wheeler....all fast and nimble....you'll be disappointed. If you want the equivalency of a trail jeep that will fit the whole fam damily....this is it....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I have a 6x and a 4 seater...
    Showoff....
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    ...your primary limitation will be what's upstairs...
    That seems to be a common problem with me! HAHA! So you're thinking its not going to be as lame as some might think? Is your 4 a RZR or a Ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by bmborum View Post
    If you're in the Valley I'd be open to a demo .
    Specs on your rig?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Specs on your rig?
    Essentially stock, 26" tires, nothing fancy. It's an 800 Crew with EPS. It's a '13, picked it up the other day after some debating and testing out others ppl's Crews and various rigs.

I will say if you are looking for a particular Crew no one currently has them in stock intown or in the Valley...actually HPAK has one inWillow but that's it. Marita has one inbound that stock bare bones, no EPS.....I've called them all. Now is actually a decent time to buy, the '14s come out next week so they're trying to move inventory to make room. Terry at HPAK in Wasilla was more than fair on price and accessories. He threw in a $700 4500lb winch for free (well invoice price was free ), and went about 30% off on accessories, and knocked 500 off MSRP.with rates as good as they are (if you were gonna borrow) it makes it a good time to buy. From most of the dealers though you're probably looking at a 4-8 week wait until they can get another one here....

PM me if your interested in taking a look / ride. I am in the valley about a mile from the Trunk and Parks Hwy interchange. I do work Wed - Sat so I could make time Sun....however I am trailer-less Sunday so I'd be limited to the immediate area. I'll pin e out Monday and Tuesday so....if you're interested send me a PM with your contact info

Pardon my typos, durn iPhone auto correct...I think you'll get the drift though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast