Thread: Berry Report

Default Berry Report

I heard a rumor that Bird-Gird bike path is littered with raspberries. Any other sightings? Any blueberries yet?

How are the blue berries in Hatcher Pass looking this year, or were they wiped out by the bugs like the chugach berries were?

could be true or not but rumor from a co worker was they are there but still green? As of this last weekend. I haven't made it out yet for berries, any news on the Northern reaches of the Glen, or up near Cantwell/Paxson?

Friend of mine had to go to Fairbanks for work last weekend. He stopped along the highway to take a nap and ended up picking about 2 quarts in about 5 minutes. PM me and I'll give ya the mile markers. Thanks for the info on Hatcher Pass.

I was in hatchers last Sunday. The blueberries were pretty close some were ready. Now where can I find salmon berries?

Release Lake Trout

Lot's of berries up here on the highway! They are ripening up nicely and ready for picking. Great crop this year!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

They're looking really good on the top of the Eagle River ridges - best I've seen in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    I was in hatchers last Sunday. The blueberries were pretty close some were ready. Now where can I find salmon berries?
    South side of Kachemak Bay....1-1/2" diameter, no joke!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yesterday, my wife and a friend of hers went up and got a bunch of really nice looking blueberries around the cantwell end of the denali hwy
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Hopefully going to catch the tail end of the raspberries, they were looking pretty ripe last I saw. Know of a small patch of some blueberries and they are pretty much ready here on the KP
    But looking forward to making my way up to hatchers pass maybe this weekend if not the next to get some to store back.
    A few watermelon berries seen on the kenai river.

Going to be spending the day land based while my mom halibut fishes in Whittier this weekend.....any berry picking in Whittier?

Sure - you should be able to find some berries on the mountains around whittier for sure. You can cast for silvers at the end of the road if you get real bored - or fish for bait off the breaker rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by faemystique View Post
    could be true or not but rumor from a co worker was they are there but still green? As of this last weekend. I haven't made it out yet for berries, any news on the Northern reaches of the Glen, or up near Cantwell/Paxson?
    Picked a few gallons with the fam on sunday near Cantwell, nice big ones this year, and in pretty thick patches!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Went to Hatchers Pass and the berry bushes look dead. The moth infestation that hit south central a few years ago has made it to the valley.

Last week at Archangel Pass, there were a decent amount of lowbush blueberries but all were still really green. This week might be a better week for them. The kids and I found mossberries, not a ton but probably enough to make my mossberry pineapple jam.