Thread: Cod fishing in PWS

Default Cod fishing in PWS

Can anyone give me a hint as to where I can find Pacific Cod in PWS? I would appreciate any clues.
    Thanks in advance.

I've caught decent size cod off the south end of Lone Island. east of the light, where it starts to drop off to the deep. Around three to four hundred feet

Quote Originally Posted by screwcutter View Post
    Can anyone give me a hint as to where I can find Pacific Cod in PWS? I would appreciate any clues.
    Thanks in advance.
    Everywhere. Get a line to the bottom and try a few spots at a few different depths. You'll find em.

I've never gotten into cod consistantly, but as I recall we've pulled one or two up over the years from pretty much all over the sound. Entrance to Poe Bay, Culross, either side of Knight Island, down by Bainbridge Island. They've generally been smaller but my son pulled up a nice one around Bainbridge earlier this summer. It seems like I get into them heavier out of Seward or Homer, but that kinda goes for most species of fish.

They seem to be more prevalent on the humps and plateus rather than rock pinnacles or underwater cliffs.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I've had decent luck finding them on the East side of Knight...200-250ft...flat muddy bottoms...just pick through the ugly ones with sores, there were plenty of them the last time I was out there.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I find that they hang out in more holes than anything. But we sure caught more than out share last weekend in Seward on a large flat area. Cod can be found pretty much anywhere I guess.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks for the info, I'll get after them.