Thread: Brown Bear Saved

Default Brown Bear Saved

Back in 2009 I shot a small brown bear sow that had charged me or bluff charged me the year before. When she charged me she had a 2 year old cub with her and I didn't shoot her because of the cub. Anyhow, I took the hide in to a taxidermist to have it tanned and something undecided as of then. A year later I get my hide back and it is cut up, torn, missing a large 9x9 inch piece along with other issues. I can't say in the fourm who this person was, though several of you already know. This was my first brown bear and now I didn't know what to do with it. So for the next 3 years it sat in a trash bag in the back of my closet. I finally wanted to do something with it and went to Dahlberg's Taxidermy in Palmer. Most of the hide was not usable due to bad rubbing and bad fleshing and tanning done by first taxidermist. I decided I wanted to try a pedestal mount. Something new for both of us. When the hide was rehydrated the face started falling apart due to acid rot. The face was the best part of thes bear. Jesse Dahlberg work through the night to try to save the hide and mount for me. I went and picked up the mount lastnight. Not only do I feel he saved the hide and mount but made a very nice mount. Hats off to Jesse Dahlberg of Dahlberg's Taxidermy..

Finished Right.jpg

Believe it or not, this happens ALL THE TIME.

Mostly because hunters take their game to an Unexperienced or a taxidermist that does not put out a quality product in the first place.

Is this the taxidermists fault or the hunters fault ?????

Well it falls on BOTH.

The taxidermist that could care less about doing an acceptable job & just wants to take things in so they can have money & pat themselves on the back for being an ARTIST, YA RIGHT .

I wish there was a test that you had to take to PROVE that you could actually do what is required to give the customer back what he is paying for.( If so there would be ALOT less taxidermist )

I laugh at the adds that say Museum quality when after looking at there work they couldnt mount a stick horse if it came with instructions.

Yet the hunters STILL take work to them because they are;

1 The cheapest guy in town.

2 promiss the mounts back in an unrealistict turnaround time.

3 are Best freinds with someone else that got a crap mount.

or 4 they are gullible enough to not look at the guys work to see if they actually can do what they boast about.

I have seen taxidermists that have in their show rooms , Mounts that they did in a class or school, yet the quality they Try to put out is not Half of what they did in school. ( Mostly because the teacher is not there to point out what is wrong & tell them how to fix it. or they just didnt listen in the first place & the teacher just helped finish the mounts for them so they could get it over with.)

Then on the other hand we continue to see hunters that are STILL taking their trophies to guys that are always in trouble with the law, or Always getting complaints filed against them in court or even on forums like this because of the unethical ways they are doing business.

What would make them think that the guy is going to do a good job on their stuff when all they do for others is screw mounts up & steal their money, not giving back their mounts.

My advise; USE YOUR HEAD !!!

Look at the every daywork that is ready for pickup by the next customers.

Ask for PROOF of credentials ( Such as an Award Of Excellence from NTA ) Thats not something they just give away.

IF YOU HEAR COMPLAINTS ABOUT SOMEONE , DONT TAKE WORK TO THEM.

Yes there are always 2 sides to every story but when the guy is repeatedly getting brought up for being irresponcible , there is somewhat proof of lack of ethics & should not be trusted to do the job.

The old adedge is TRUE, You get what you pay for. & most of the time we bring things on ourselves because we dont pay attention to the obvious.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936 www.protaxidermy.com

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Believe it or not, this happens ALL THE TIME.

Mostly because hunters take their game to an Unexperienced or a taxidermist that does not put out a quality product in the first place.

Is this the taxidermists fault or the hunters fault ?????

Well it falls on BOTH.

Then on the other hand we continue to see hunters that are STILL taking their trophies to guys that are always in trouble with the law, or Always getting complaints filed against them in court or even on forums like this because of the unethical ways they are doing business.

What would make them think that the guy is going to do a good job on their stuff when all they do for others is screw mounts up & steal their money, not giving back their mounts.

My advise; USE YOUR HEAD !!!

Look at the every daywork that is ready for pickup by the next customers.

Yes there are always 2 sides to every story but when the guy is repeatedly getting brought up for being irresponcible , there is somewhat proof of lack of ethics & should not be trusted to do the job.

The old adedge is TRUE, You get what you pay for. & most of the time we bring things on ourselves because we dont pay attention to the obvious.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936 www.protaxidermy.com
    RJ,

Even though I didn't post this here to point out my own stupity and using the first guy to tan the hide, you are right. I got what I paid for and almost lost the hide. I posted it to show the work that was done and results of Jesse Dahlberg.

I didn't do my homework very well before I took my bear in to get tanned. I was talking online in this forum with one of the two guys that owned the shop that I took it to. I didn't to a background criminal check on the one until after he had my bear. And yes he is still doing business and dumb*****es like me are still taking stuff to him.

Jim

RJ made some good points.. But I can only speak for myself.. I can honestly say that Im not number 1-4 that you mentioned.. Im self taught, and just do what I do.. I Give realistic expectations on time and turnaround, My quality is up with in reach of the best 1 or 2 shops in the state. I was happy to be able to save Jims bear.. Was pretty nervouse when the face literally tore and crumbled but with a solid base and some nice rock work, it sets the mount of and pleases the eye.

Here are a couple more angles of AkGrumpy's bear

bear pedestal.jpgBear pedestal2.jpg

Respectfully; Hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Hi Jim,
    I didnt meen to chew on you at all.

I was just stating a fact that all of us Full time taxidermists have to deal with & that is usually fixing other peoples messes because someone wanted to save a buck.

I am sorry if I offended ya & didnt intend it that way.

I have fixed so many Crap mounts that other guys screwed up it just blows my mind that they still have people bringing things in.

& yet it is REALLY frustrating as a business person, when someone brings a mount straight from anouther SO CALLED taxidermist that had no clue what the propper way to mount was & now the customer has to pay our original price PLUS even more sometimes because of the extra steps that are needed to fix the crap , cheap job.

Same goes for tanning.

I have tanned everything from Mink to Elephant & I can tell you that if it is not done propperly it will fall apart in a VERY short time. Leaving the customer wondering what went wrong. ( That taxidermist will blame it back on someone else everytime )

There are a few guys around Alaska that have no business with a taxidermy license because of the product they are producing for the public.

But on th flip side , as long as Joe Smukately keeps them loaded up with trophies & deposits they will continue to ruin mounts at a low cost.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936 ww.protaxidermy.com

AKGrumpy it is good to hear a happy ending to one of the many sad taxidermist stories out there. That is a very unique mount, not too many bears are done on pedestals and yours looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    AKGrumpy it is good to hear a happy ending to one of the many sad taxidermist stories out there. That is a very unique mount, not too many bears are done on pedestals and yours looks great!
    Thank you and you are right, it is a very unique mount and kinda of why I did it this way. And I am happy with the end result. The bear came out better than expected. My wife doesn't really like shoulder mounts on bears, the bear wsa way to rubbed for a rug or anything that showed the back. She is really to rubbed for even this mount but it was my first brown so had to do something. Dahlberg's did a great job in saving the hide after he rehydrated it and made it into something I am happy to show off. Which is why I started this post..